Jim
Jim, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  18 yr honda tech, 30 yr experience, 13 ase master tech
54429526

We own an 09 Honda Civic Hybrid which we purchased new in the

We own an 09 Honda Civic Hybrid which we purchased new in the fall of 08. We had the IMA battery replaced under warranty one month ago. However, since then, we have observed that the battery never reaches full charge even after aXXXXXtrip, usually hovers around half charge most of the time and consequently utilizes the IMA minimally. Consequently, we are not getting the fuel efficiency that we experienced when the car was purchased. My suspicion is that this situation may be linked an IMA software update installed a year ago. Does this suspicion have any merit?
Thanks,
Ellis

jimhondatech :

hi this is jim, i'm here to help you out, it sounds like there are some software updates that need to be done, if you want to send me your vin# XXXXX can check, i know you are in canada but depending on where your hybrid was built i might have access to some info,i'm in the states

Customer:

VIN #JHMFA362495800298

jimhondatech :

ok, give me a few minutes to look some info up

Customer:

Just noticed that I had made an error, the digit preceding 800 is the letter S

jimhondatech :

ok, i looked your vin# XXXXX your civic was made for canada, i could not access any vin info, the dealer should have updated the software to the latest version, there should be a little sticker on the door jamb when you open up the drivers door, it should be in the middle of the jamb below the striker, it is a little triangle sticker with a code on it,if you could get me the number on that sticker i can try to match up the software to the battery

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX back to you with that info tomorrow

jimhondatech :

ok let me know, thanks jim

Customer:

Good evening,

Customer:

Just spent several minutes scouring the vehicle for the triangular sticker and came up empty handed. The only sticker I found on the driver's door jamb was one that read, IMA Battery Type CA3 followed by a bar code.

jimhondatech :

thats the right sticker, give me a couple of minutes to look some info up, thanks

Customer:

BTW, the note on the copy of the work description that I received from the dealership read, "P0A7F Battery module deterioration, requires software update, updated PCM and IMA battery software (2 updates)"

jimhondatech :

ok, i found some info, you will have to check with the dealer and make sure software update-1k101-rmx-a400 is installed, this is the most current update

Customer:

ok, could you inform me as to what effect this update has on the operation of the IMA system? and what the previous software updates did regarding the IMA system as well?

jimhondatech :

the ima system has 2 computers that monitor the ima battery state of charge, with the replacement batteries the construction of them is different, so the computers have to be able to monitor the state of charge of the ima battery, so what the software updates do is make sure the computers are able to monitor the voltage in the ima battery correctly and then in turn make the ima gauge work correctly and not set false trouble codes, the updates make the system compatable with all the parts, is this making sense

Customer:

Yes it is, thank you. So if I am understanding correctly, when the batteries were changed a month ago the technician should have updated the two computers. Does this mean that two software updates were needed at that time, one for each computer? The 1k101-rmx-a400 update, does this update cover both computers? I am still unclear regarding the 2 updates the dealer installed a year ago that I referred to previously. What was the purpose of those?

jimhondatech :

when the ima battery gets changed the old updates don't match the new battery, the new update covers the whole system, honda finally got there updates to cover everything, in the past we had update for each computer, now with technology upgrades we can do it all in one shot, the older hybrids were even worse

Customer:

So does the latest update, 1k101-rmx-a400, completely remove and replace the data that was downloaded in the previous updates that were installed one year ago?

jimhondatech :

correct, the new update overwrites the old update

Customer:

So, to come full circle, if I go to the dealer and he confirms that the 1k101-rmx-a400 update has been installed, where do I go from there to solve the condition I detailed in my original question?

jimhondatech :

i'm willing to bet the current update has not been done, the system is very good and i have not seen any issues once the system is fully updated, honda is very good with their engineering to make the system operate correctly, everybody has hybrid technology now so honda does everything in their power to make customers are happy and enjoy their cars, to be sure ask to watch while they update the system, we use what is called an MVCI, it plugs into the car and has the software downloads built in, it takes about 10 mins to do the updates, have them show you when the screen says "no further update needed", i hope this helps

Customer:

Thanks greatly. Your summary is very clear and comprehensive. This information gives me a great deal of confidence as I approach the dealership. I can, without hesitation, give your assistance with my question an excellent rating. I do hope that we can soon enjoy once again our efficient Honda.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jim,
So, we took the car into the dealership to have them ensure that the proper and latest software was installed in order to have the new IMA battery function optimally. I was not able to watch their procedure but asked them to document what version of software they had used. This is verbatim what was written on their description of work performed: "perform 37805-RMX-A13 PGM-FI update program ID MXA130" and, "perform 1K101-RMX-A11 IMA battery update program ID MXA110". This is all greek to me and I was wondering if you could decipher what this means they have done.

BTW, I did give them the 1k101-rmx-a400 software version and asked them to ensure they were installing the latest version.

Thanks

ok, they did install the latest software, you should be good, thanks jim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for confirming my query regarding the software version used by the dealership.

We are finding that the more we drive, the battery charge indicator appears to be sustaining at a higher level and the assist is working very consistently. Is there a "break in" period for a new battery to achieve its optimum efficiency?

One last query. What can we reasonably expect as a life expectancy on this new battery as it is my understanding that the technology has been improved from the original? The original warranty was for 130K. Is there no extended warranty available for the new battery?

Thanks.

THERE IS NOW BREAK IN PERIOD, THE NEW SOFTWARE CONTROLS EVERYTHING, THE BATTERY SHOULD LAST 150K MILES
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you.

NO PROBLEM, HAVE A GREAT NEWS YEAR