Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Accord: I have a 1998 Honda Accord v4. I am getting a P0505

I have a 1998 Honda Accord v4. I am getting a P0505 code. I found this question and answer on this site: http://www.justanswer.com/honda/1ankn-1998-honda-accord-w-p0505-code-idle.html

Per step 3, I disconnected the wire connection to the IAC valve and seconds later the engine stopped. The question in the instructions says, "Does the engine speed increase or fluctuate? NO - replace the IAC valve.

I didn't expect the engine to fail. Is this a clear indication that IAC valve has failed and needs to be replaced? I removed it and cleaned it out, although it really didn't have any material blocking it. Is this simply an indication that the sensor in the unit has failed? Thank you.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

i would think you will need to replace the iac..from what you are saying here

tims auto repair :

1998 Honda Accord DX Sedan L4-2254cc 2.3L SOHC MFI
A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) Testing and Inspection, P Code Charts: P0505

DTC P0505: Malfunction in Idle Control System

NOTE: If DTC P1519 is stored at same time as DTC P0505, troubleshooting DTC P1519 first, then recheck for DTC P0505.

1. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
2. Check the engine speed at idle with no-load conditions: headlights, blower fan, rear defogger, radiator fan, and air conditioner are not operating.
Is it 700 ± 50 rpm?
YES-Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time.
NO-If the idle speed is less than 650 rpm, go to step 3; if it's 750 rpm or higher, go to step 4.
3. Disconnect the 3P connector from the IAC valve.
Dose the engine speed increase or fluctuate?
YES-Adjust the (base) idle speed. If it's impossible, clean the ports in the throttle body.
NO-Replace the IAC valve.
4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
5. Remove the intake air duct from the throttle body.
6. Start the engine and let it idle.

36_hn00accor_sm11-091.png
Full Size Image

7. Put your finger on the lower port (A) in the throttle body.
Does the engine speed drop?
YES-Adjust the idle speed. If it's impossible, replace the IAC valve.
NO-Check for vacuum leaks, make sure the throttle valve is completely closed, and repair as necessary.

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

Customer:

Is there any other way to test the unit before I replace it? If it wasn't a +/- $200 part I wouldn't hesitate. Let's just say I would be disappointed to spend the money on the part, spend the 60-90 minutes replacing it, only to have the same P0505 code come up. This is an issue b/c I can't register my car without passing smog (test only station), and I can't pass smog with a check engine light on. Thanks Tim. --CapnBarry

tims auto repair :

i can understand that

tims auto repair :

but,,these are the only test i have

tims auto repair :

give me one moment

tims auto repair :

i will check something else

tims auto repair :

thats all i have

tims auto repair :

be sure the vaive is clean...sometimes cleaning the iac will fix this

tims auto repair :

check the wire harness and the plug to the iac

tims auto repair :

but,,you may end up buying the iac

tims auto repair :

Customer:

A final clarifying question. If I took the car to some mechanics, would they use exactly the same tests? OR, would they have additional test/diagnostic equipment that can plug directly in to the IAC to test its functionality? It could be worth the committed 1-hour at $75/hr, just in case it is not the part and could be addressed via adjusting the throttle.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

sorry i was off line

tims auto repair :

i would think they would use these tests

tims auto repair :

although the right diagnostic scanner may give additional information

tims auto repair :

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.