Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Honda Accord EX: firing order for a 2001 honda accord EX

Customer Question

firing order for a 2001 honda accord EX
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.

jimhondatech :

hi this is jim, i'm here to help you out, give me a few minutes to look the info up

Customer:

ok, thanks!

Customer:

you there?

jimhondatech :

ok, i found the info, i will send it to you, i have to switch to q&a to send info, thanks for your patience, jim

Customer:

ok

jimhondatech :

just respond the same with anymore questions, thanks jim

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to check to make sure the firing order is correct then I can go from there, one of the issues is after the car warms up it stalls.

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: acdist.pdf

Attachment: acdfiring1.pdf

here is the info tou should need, anymore questions let me know, please rate my service for helping you today, thanks jim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, the firing order is correct and the timing is however when the car warms up it stalls.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
offline
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
hi
tell me..
does it just die as if the key was turned off?
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it dies like you turned off the key, there are no engine codes. it just dies when warmed up and you can start it again but it will just die. Just so you know the timing belt was replaced and it had a dead cyclinder(cracked exhaust valve) I got all this repaired and I checked the timing again to make sure everythign was line up correctly and the firing order is correct as well. The compression checked good as well in all 4 cyclinders.

ok
this sounds as if you may have a bad crank sensor,,this may have got hit when doing the work...when the crank sensor does this intermediatly and you get no trouble codes,,,it would be really hard to test ....you need to take a look at the sensor to make sure it is plugged up well,,,,and you may just need to replace it
thanks
2001 Honda Accord EX Sedan L4-2254cc 2.3L SOHC (VTEC) MFI
Crankshaft Position Sensor Service and Repair, Procedures: CKP/TDC Sensor Replacement
CKP/TDC Sensors Replacement
1. Remove the balancer belt.
2. Remove the balancer belt drive pulley.
graphic

3. Disconnect the CKP/TDC sensors connector (A), then remove the CKP/TDC sensors (B).
4. Install the CKP/TDC sensors in reverse order of removal.
5. Install the balancer belt.

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button, so I can get credit for my work,,the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate,,.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
hey its jim, i'm back, it sounds like your ignition switch is no good, i have read your posts with tim, and your description is classic ignition switch, this is a very common issue, one quick test is to wiggle the key while it is runing and see if it stalls
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is going on now is after the car warms up and is just sitting there it's fine until I hit the gas pedle or put it in drive then it stalls, it will restart but if i do the above it stalls again, I also noticed that the exhaust smell rich and I checked the spark plugs and they have black soot on them. I am not sure if the timing is off or what. I want to be sure because Tim's suggestion the part is 150+.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
hey its jim again, i have one qucik question to try and help you out, did the issue you are having now start after the cylinder head was replaced because of the burnt valve, you mentioned that in one of your previous posts, let me know, thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes this happen after the head was put back on, if you can please call me as this would be much faster, I know you are very busy and I will keep it short, XXX-XXX-XXXX

Ted

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
ok, i think i got ypur problem nailed, on the intake there are two connectors, on for the map sensor and one for the tps, make sure the blue connector is plugged in the back for the tps, these two connectors can go on either sensor, let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, the blue connector is plugged into the plug that is next to the firewall, in front of it would be the air intake opening correct? if so I have it plugged in the correct sensor. BTW THANK YOU for the help you are giving me!

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
YES THE BLUE CONECTOR IN THE BACK, MAN I THOUGHT I HAD IT,ARE POSITVIE THE CAM TIMING IS CORRECT, NOT THE IGNTION TIMING, THERE IS ALSO A GROUNG WIRE ON THE INTAKE AN THE OTHER SIDE UNDER THE AIR INTAKE SENSOR, CHECK THAT TOO
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I checked the timing (the third time) I lined up the crank pully TDC mark (notch) with the marker protruding from the timing case, then checked the cam pully marks there are right on. The only other thing "mounted to the intake" was the support bracket and two connector mounts. One thought I did not bleed the coolant system with that check valve? Wolud that cause it to stall?

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
NO, LOW COOLANT WON'Y CAUSE THAT, THE GROUND I MENTIONED IS GOOD, DO YO HAVE A SCANNER SO WE CAN LOOK AT SOME DATA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I do not, I wish I did! BTW there are no engine codes (so far) CEL has not come on since the repair. I can rent a reader, would that help?

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
ALL THE READER WILL DO IS GIVE YOU A CODE, YOU SAID THE LIGHT IS OFF, DOES THE LIGHT COME ON FOR 2SECS AND GO OFF WHEN YOU TURN THE KEY ON
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it does it's normal thing when I start the car.

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
OK, WELL THE ONLY YOU HAVEN'T CHECKED YET IS FUEL PRESSURE, BUT I DON'T SEE HOW THAT WOULD HAPPEN BY TAKING THE HEAD OFF, DO YOU HAVE A PRPONAE ENRICHMENT TANK, YOU CAN SPRAY SOME PROPANE IN THE INTAKE AND SEE IF IT WILL ACCELERATE, TRY THAT, WITHOUT A SCANNER WE MIGHT BE STUCK, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO SEE WHAT THE SENSOR VALUES ARE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah, I don't see that as well. With air leaks I could use carb cleaner, as far as the propane if the car does accel would that means air leak as well?

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
IT COULD, I'M JUST TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF THE SYSTEM IS LEAN OR HAS A FUEL ISSUE, DOES THIS MAKE SENSE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think I mentioned before that when the car is running the exhaust smells rich and when I pull the plugs there are black and sooty. Just for a sanity check, when I timed the care for the belts, my crank gear (dot) matched to the case stamp, then I made sure the cam (up) was pointed upward and the side ticks matched the head edge, now to be sure I was at TDC I stuck a long screw driver into the sparkplug hole to make sure the piston was up all the way. Is this correct?

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.

Attachment: 01TIMING.pdf

HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLING THE BELT
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I have this and this is what I used, I am making absolutly sure I did this correctly because when dissasembling the crank got moved, so to my question, with the timing marks lined up the #1 piston should be all the way up, correct?

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.

YES #1 PISTON UP

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, thanks when i get home i will check for a vaccum leak and go from there

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
OK, KEEP ME POSTED, THIS ONE IS GETTING PERSONAL, I HATE WHEN THE CAR IS WINNING, SEE IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON A SCANNER
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will see what I can do with that if it is needed, ya know I just have a feeling that it is going to be one of those "DOH" moments... If I find anything I will let you know.

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

JIm,

I checked all connections and they are good, I used carb cleaner to check for vaccum leaks and there are none, next I used the rubber mallot to tap around the intake to check for a stuck valve/soleniod, nothing there I noticed on the dash the CEL was on, read the code and it was a cyclinder #1 misfire, NO HELP THERE! At this point I decided to clear the codes and after that the car is running fine! It may have been stuck in "limp home mode"?

One thing I noticed the when warming up the idel is a little rough, the car has 181K miles, old age? Suggestions?

THANK YOU! for all the help you have given me with this car one thing for sure, man what a learning expierence!

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
THAT IS BIZARRE, IT COULD HAVE TO RELEARN ITSELF, YOU MIGHT HAVE A VALVE A LIITLE TIGHT CAUSING THE ROUGH IDLE, IF IT OK WARM I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT,
Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
hey its jim, just cheking in, how is the accord, anymore questions let me know, please accpet and rate my service for helping you, i know you paid tim already for no help, i think you can retract that and rate me, thanks jim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jim,

Sorry about that how do I correct that? I thought when I did the rating I thought I was rating you but as I am seeing here that did not happen.

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
LET ME SEND THE QUESTION TO THE MODERATOR, THANKS FOR TAKING CARE OF ME, JIM
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No problem, you have been very "helpful" to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jim,

Quick question for you, The owner of the car was telling me that the car is runing rough when cold but ok when warmed up, my question is the only electronic component I changed on that car was the o2 sensor (Bosch) I have been seeing some complaints about that sensor would it cause the car to stall? Is there a better sensor I should have used? I would like your opinion seeing that you are more expierenced than I am with that aspect.

Expert:  Jim replied 2 years ago.
THE HONDA SENSOR IS THE BEST, YOU MAY HAVE A VALVE THAT IS TOO TIGHT YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE ADJUSTMENT AGAIN