Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics

Civic Hybid: I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with 89521 miles.

I have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid with 89521 miles. The check engine and IMA lights just came on. I went to Sears (the only place open on Sunday) and they put it on the computer and came up with codes P1600 and P1433. I am not at home and would like to have whatever service is needed done there, about 100 miles away. Can I risk driving there or is this something that needs to be handled immediately?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

Both of these codes are directly related. Both are pointing to a fault with the hybrid battery. The P1600 is a "general" code that states there is a problem in the hybrid system, and the P1433 narrows down that problem to the battery module itself. When both of these codes are set, most commonly, the hybrid battery will need to be replaced. As for driving the vehicle- it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle, however, the hybrid drive will be offline.

DTC P1433: Battery Module Deterioration (2004-2005 models)
Replace the battery module.

P1600 IMA System Malfunction
Check for IMA trouble codes and then refer to the IMA trouble code description list

***Don't forget to leave a rating for my answer! Rating the answer is a very important part of the Q&A process!***

*PLEASE NOTE: You MUST RATE the help you've received today (OK/3 or higher) so that I receive credit for answering your question! Your rating is very important to the Q&A process! Even if you have a Subscription, you MUST rate! Need more help before you rate? No problem! Use the "Reply" tab to ask follow-up questions!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. I have a followup question. Another poster said that the car does not have an alternator and the car battery gets it charge from the hybrid battery. If that is the case and the hybrid battery is offline, do I run the risk of draining the car battery? If that happens won't that leave me stopped on the side of the road?

Also, do these lights indicate immanent failure? When I drove to sears the charge/assist seemed to be working normally.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
The car battery gets it's charge from the hybrid system, not the battery itself. This is a problem in the hybrid battery, and the hybrid "drive" system is offline (the electric motor will not come on, and the vehicle runs on gasoline only at this point). The charging system is still operational, and the car battery will remain being charged. When these lights are on, it does not necessarily mean there is an "immanent" failure, it means the hybrid battery is below "normal" operating specs and will need to be replaced. Honda currently has a battery exchange program in effect.

COVERAGE

This bulletin applies to all Honda IMA batteries, both in-warranty and out-of-warranty.

COMPONENT REPLACEMENT POLICY

Only remanufactured IMA battery modules are available for repair; new units are not available. Any internal failure requiring IMA battery module disassembly qualifies for this program.

NOTE :

^ On out-of-warranty repairs, make sure to tell the customer that new units are not available and that a remanufactured IMA battery module is used.
^ While Honda remanufactured batteries may reuse some components, the battery cells are replaced with new parts.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics