Andrew
Andrew, Honda Technician
Experience:  12 year Master Tech and ASE Certified.

I have a honda civic 2002. the radio is not working because

I have a honda civic 2002. the radio is not working because I put in a new battery. The serial number of the radio is U2412 L0943. Please help!!! I bought this Honda new and I have the Vin # XXXXX needed.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 1 year ago.

slonneman95 :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Honda questions today.

Customer:

ok

slonneman95 :

Your code shows to be 12431. Let me know if that does not work for you.

slonneman95 :

If it does please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

That code was listed on a sticker.....and it did not work...what are the steps ot enter the code?

slonneman95 :

Ok is the radio display showing ERR

Customer:

no it is showing Codeer

slonneman95 :

If so disconnect your battery for approx 3 minutes to reset the radio and then enter the code using the preset buttons on the radio.

slonneman95 :

Ok let's try to reset it by disconnecting the battery and then re-trying the code.

Customer:

how do I disconnect the battery?

slonneman95 :

Oh I thought that you had installed it yourself.......would you be more comfortable trying to pull a fuse for the radio?

Customer:

I will try

slonneman95 :

Do you have a 10mm wrench or socket?

Customer:

I have a wrench...not sure of the mm

slonneman95 :

Ok the battery terminals are tightened with a 10mm nut........that is the size you will need to loosen the battery cable.

Customer:

Sorry, I am not mechanically inclined. would it be easier to do the fuse?

Customer:

Do you have to lift the battery out?

slonneman95 :

No you do not have to lift the battery out but I think we should try the fuse instead. It will be easier on you......you will need pliers or a pair of tweezers to remove the fuse.

Customer:

ok i have tweezers and pliers

slonneman95 :

Ok either will work. Let me find the location of the fuse for you.

Customer:

ok

slonneman95 :

Ok in the under hood fuse box we will need to remove fuse #9 which will be labeled as BACK UP on the bottom of the lid for the fuse box.

Customer:

I will have to go out an try..Be back in a few minutes

slonneman95 :

Ok

Customer:

I pulled the one red marked 10 which looked like it corresponded with the back up block

Customer:

now what do I do?

slonneman95 :

Yes that would be the correct one. Did your radio reset to read CODE on the display?

Customer:

I will see do I need to replace the fuse first?

slonneman95 :

No we don't need to replace the fuse.......just pull out of the fuse box for about 3 minutes to let the radio reset.

Customer:

I did not mean get a new one i meant to put the same one back in the slot

slonneman95 :

Oh I am sorry......I misunderstood. Yes just put the fuse back in and turn the radio on. It should read CODE and you will then use the preset buttons to put the code in.

Customer:

We are all systems Go! You are the Man!! Thanks for your patience!

slonneman95 :

No problem at all. I am glad to help.......Thank You for letting me assist you today! Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and let me know if you ever need anymore help!

Customer:

Do I need to reset the cd player as well?

slonneman95 :

No as long as power is on to the radio the CD player should operate just fine.

Customer:

Thanks again and now I know what a fuse box looks like!!!

Andrew, Honda Technician
Experience: 12 year Master Tech and ASE Certified.