proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College training Current Lead Tech

2000 Honda CRV EX, 116,000 miles. When hot, stalls, runs rough,

2000 Honda CRV EX, 116,000 miles. When hot, stalls, runs rough, poor performance, eventually dies in slow traffic. Highway cruising - feels like you take a hit, or misses, repetitive stalling. Will go back to cruising fine when not under load. Honda tech has replaced plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, fuel filter. Cleaned fuel lines. No trouble codes. Computer reads clear every time it's checked. Seemed fine for two days after all above work was done, but then right back to stalling.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a shop foreman. I will be helping you today.

Did they do a fuel pressure check when the problem occured?

Did they do a backpressure test on the exhaust system?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, to both questions. They felt that a trouble code should have alerted them if that were necessary.
That is not the best answer from the mechanic.

They should know by now with these symptoms you may or may not get any feedback from the computer system.

This is what I would do. I would get a can of starting fluid maybe 2 as they can go fast.

When the problem starts to happen try spraying it into the throttle body. See if the vehicle condition will get any better at all if so we have a fueling issue when hot.

If this does not make any difference the next thing I would do is check spark when problem is present It should be string nice long jump blue ish in color. If the spark is weak this can be caused from bad distrubutor assembly even if it was replaced. I do not think this is the problem but I am throwing it up for you to check for yourself.

Next thing is remove the O2 sensor from the front. This will rule out a bad catalytic convertor. It allow the exhaust backpressure to be relieved from the hole made by leaving it out. You will get a Engine light but it is totally ok to drive to test the problem this way.

This way it costs you very little to check all of these yourself and not pay the mechanic to keep throwing useless parts at the vehicle.

If this checks out I would suspect a ECM. Engine control module.

You can try putting it into the freezer than drive again when it normally does not run good to see if the cold changes performance.

I hope I have given you some useful information, please kindly leave a positive rating. You can return at anytime to reply but this ensures I will be credited for my time and efforts.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The stalling happens while I'm driving. It is not possible to perform the starting fluid test or the spark plug test. I have been on the net for a month and learned that this is a well worn problem with CRV's. TSB's issued, ignition switch recalls, valve adjustments required, etc., but no one seems to have the answer to this engine condition. Thanks for your help, though.
When the problem is present it should run rough at idle. That is when you can do the above testing. I know it is difficult but the other option will require a fuel pressure tester.

This you can extend having it visable while you drive the vehicle being able to see the drop in pressure when the condition is present.

Yes i know about the TSBs ect. The ignition switch is not going to be a possible fix. The valves are not going to be intermittent. That is why we are dealing with a fueling spark or wiring issue which includes ECM. Wiring or ECM would likely leave a code but the fuel system will not do this.

I have run into this so many times this summer no codes ect but doing simple fuel pressure test can lead you into finding out the fuel pump gets hot and the very cheap made pump is overworking to keep up which is causing the condition.