Andrew
Andrew, Honda Technician
Experience:  12 year Master Tech and ASE Certified.
64561840

Honda Civic Hybrid: We were told to pull fuses on our 2003

We were told to pull fuses on our 2003 Civic Hybrid by our dealer because the beeping noise when you leave your keys in your car had ceased to work. No blown fuses were found, and the car would not then crank. We realized the anti theft must have been disabled, and in fact, the immobilizer system indicator will not light.It should come on for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned to ON. No prob, says Dealer. Lock and unlock driver door with correct key and all will be fine. NOT SO. Car will not crank, dealer now says "can't help U anymore". TNX in advance to anyone with an answer!

slonneman95 :

Hello I will be glad to help you with your Honda questions today.

slonneman95 :

Have you checked the small 12V battery yet? Did this problem occur all of a sudden or was it acting up prior to this?

Customer:

Checked battery with meter---12.68 volts--she had left lights on a few days earlier and had to be jumped off and that is when the beeping stopped--and that was when we contacted our dealer--who said they did not know exactly which fuse to pull and said to try all of them (but of course I did not pull any of the larger fuses--started with the lowest values then progressed up to 15 amps---then found car would not crank)

slonneman95 :

Did you check the battery voltage when you turn the key to the crank position?

Customer:

No I will do that now

slonneman95 :

Typically when the beeper quits working it is due to a door switch that has failed.......are the dome lights working?

Customer:

Battery read 12.19 v with switch in ON position (we may have run it down some in repeated efforts to crank) and dome light works

slonneman95 :

Ok that was while trying to crank correct?

slonneman95 :

Also since jumping the vehicle the car has never started since then?

Customer:

sorry no that was with switch in ON (II) position should be measured in Start (III) position?

slonneman95 :

Yes I want to see if the voltage drops when you try to crank.

Customer:

Car ran fine after jumping for days did not quit cranking until fuses pulled---will measure in III position.....

slonneman95 :

Is it possible that you may have placed one of the fuses in the wrong spot?

Customer:

measured 12.22v while wife holding key in start measured 12.35 right after key turned off

slonneman95 :

Ok so that pretty much eliminates the battery.

Customer:

Checked fuses one at a time so that wouldn't happen (I repair musical instruments including amps) but thought of that and everything seems correct

slonneman95 :

Ok does the check engine light come on when turning the key to the on position and then go off?

Customer:

Brake --MAIN REQD-ABS light all come on then turn off after a sec or two

slonneman95 :

No check engine light though?

Customer:

umm looking in manual for that indicator light.......

slonneman95 :

It will look like an engine

Customer:

ok will check

slonneman95 :

Is this a manual or CVT trans?

Customer:

Automatic engine symbol comes on and stays on after the above said lights go out

Customer:

Sorry should have been a space to indicate tranny auto

slonneman95 :

Ok let's double check fuse #21 7.5A in the under dash fuse box.

Customer:

OK will do

slonneman95 :

It should be the top left hand fuse.

Customer:

STS (steering switch fuse) correct?

slonneman95 :

Yes correct.....it is for the starter cut relay and ECM

Customer:

fuse 21---7.5 appears fine

slonneman95 :

Ok are you getting battery voltage on both side with the key in the Start position

Customer:

Mmm not sure what u mean by "both sides"

slonneman95 :

Both side of the fuse.

Customer:

ah I should use meter instead of fuse correct? and check exact voltage?

slonneman95 :

Yes because in rare cases just looking at the fuse could be wrong. At the end of the fuse you will see little holes where you can touch the metal tabs for the fuse. Leave the fuse in the fuse box and turn the key to start. Then check for 12V to ground in each access hole.

Customer:

Well I checked the fuse holder with a meter while you must have been typing (with the fuse out) and got 11.94 volts (no fuse---measuring fuse holder) while in crank---not sure my probes will fit in fuse (plus as an added bonus it is dark here and the car is onethe side of the house will no light!!)

Customer:

Will try to see if probes fit

slonneman95 :

Ok I understand that......fuse is probably going to be good. Just want to make sure.

slonneman95 :

Does the radio come on?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Radio fine

slonneman95 :

Ok I am starting to lean to a bad computer with the symptoms you are describing. I would usually recommend taking it to the dealer at this point but it doesn't sound like your local dealer is very good.

Customer:

We have been happy up until this point and in fact, until now, would have rated them excellent. They now seem to care less whether it runs or not, and in fact I now believe they wanted to be able to make some repair money. What is odd is that the car cranked fine---we pulled it out of the garage and into the shade to check fuses--and cranked it several times between fuse checking---and it cranked EVERY time---until I pulled whichever fuse--then it would crank no more---battery voltage fine, no signs of bad fuses---BUT the immobizer light had disappeared during fuse checking......making it seem unlikely (though anything is possible) that the puter' just oddly died while fuses being checked......

slonneman95 :

The immobilizer light is what worries me because the computer sends an input through the under dash fuse box to the immobilizer control unit. All the fuses in both fuse boxes have been checked and none look to be bad.......correct?

slonneman95 :

Have I asked you to double check fuse #4 10A in the under dash fuse box? If not let's double check it.

Customer:

Ah now there you have me----not all of the fuses under dash have been checked , never checked the top row because somewhere in checking the two bottom rows the car wouldn't crank. All the under hood fuses that were small appear good, didn't remove any large ones (but they all look good) also may have not checked all fuses in middle row under dash-----will check No 4

slonneman95 :

ok great

Customer:

No 4 fuse MIA---nowhere to be found!! Not in fuse holder, not found in car or area around driver door---should add neighbor's came over to "help" and I suspect this is why fuse gone--in my repair, I do everything methodically (ie checking fuses one at a time) This is my prob, right?

slonneman95 :

Yes that is going to be it.......#4 supplies voltage to the ECM and the Immobilizer Control Unit. I am glad it was something simple and not a bad ECM.......the fuses all being good were throwing me for a loop and that is why I was suspecting a bad computer.

slonneman95 :

Do you have a fuse to put in?

Customer:

I can see why U thought that... spare fuses under hood in 21-25 manual says---will look.......

slonneman95 :

Ok if not you can remove fuse #5 in the under hood fuse box since it is for the Hazard lights.

Customer:

You Da MAN!!!! Spare 10A under hood put it in 4 and she's HUMMIN' Wish U were in North Alabama, this car wouldn't go to anyone else!!! Thanks bunches as this 2nd shift guy won't have to get up @ 6:30 to carry wife to work!!

slonneman95 :

No problem at all.....I am in Tennessee so not too far....LOL. Glad I was able to help you get things going. Please remember to rate me at Excellent Service and Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

PS EXCELLENT SERVICE!!!

Customer:

Which part TN? Or are allowed to say?

slonneman95 :

Knoxville

Customer:

Cool, nice town. I played TVA's Christmas party2 yrs ago at the Convention center by UT---they had ballroom's A-E-- I asked an employee which one was ours --he said "We're moving the movable walls--ya'll have ALL the ballrooms"---I knew it was gonna be fun!! An contrary to popular opinion, my wife and I are Bama alums but UT has ALWAYS been our biggest rival and my next favorite team! Go Vols!!

Customer:

And THANKS once again!!