George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

95 Honda Accord Ex, 4 cycl., w/197,000 mi. Its on 2nd transmission

95 Honda Accord Ex, 4 cycl., w/197,000 mi. It's on 2nd transmission & 2nd muffler system. Just noticed 2 tail pipes have been slightly pushed apart and the seam of the muffler is spilt open with that white fiberglass hanging out (fiberglass stuff is mostly black). Looks like someone may have backed into me because of scrapes on the bumper? With this old of a car do I have to get a whole new system or can I just replace muffler and tailpipes? Because car is 17 yrs. old I know I have to pass emissions inspections - will that effect what I have to do to replace it?
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You can certainly replace just the muffler if that is the only damage.

The emission requirement is that there be no holes in the system so if a pipe was bent and cracked further up that will have to be replaced.

Any muffler shop can replace the muffler and repair the pipe if necessary.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service not the content as you may not like the answer but it is the truth. Only rate when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to click the lower two ratings they are negative feedback that sticks on my record so please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek to secure a positive rating.

Please let me know if the rating box is missing or you are unable to rate for any reason

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know it varies but could you ball park me on the cost. It's such an old car but it's all I have now. If it's the whole system -how much? If only muffler & tailpipes how much?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

All I can do is quote the factory prices and you do NOT want to go that route.

I don't know of any shop that will quote a price without looking at it to see what is really needed. If they do you do NOT want them doing the work as they will quote a low price and find all sorts of things once they see it.

Have a shop take a look and if they say it is just the muffler then you can check another or two depending on what you have in your area to compare. Make sure you are being quoted on the same parts so it is "apples to apples".

If you want the OEM prices then that is about $750 for the center, rear and tailpipe plus the muffler but that does NOT include the front catalytic converter.

The muffler alone is $300 so let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
does this front cat. converter go out often? can't spend more than absolutely necessary. or is that one of those things one SHOULD replace if doing the rest of system?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
No the cat should last 120-200,000 and when you had the complete system replaced I think that was part of it.

Only replace the cat if you are getting trouble codes or it does not pass emissions.

Sorry for the delay, I had to relocate, let me know what I can do to help but it sounds like you only need to replace the muffler.

Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much. I appreciate being fortified with knowledge before I go to the mechanic.
jb
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Glad to help and please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ years