Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics

Honda Civic Hybrid: The IMA light and Check Engine light came

The IMA light and Check Engine light came on my 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid but car still runs perfectly with same gas mileage and battery seems to be charging as always. Does this mean that my Hybrid battery is going bad or could there be another problem?
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

When the IMA light comes on, this is a sign of a problem in the Hybrid system. When the Check Engine light is also lit, the most common problem is the Hybrid Battery. You can actually have this confirmed by having the "p-codes" (diagnostic trouble codes) read from the on-board computer. Most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will do this for Free (except in California). These p-codes will point to the faulty part/sensor. So, if it is a problem with the Hybrid Battery, this will confirm. If there is another problem somewhere, the p-codes will serve as the starting point for the diagnosis, and you can more accurately determine the root of the problem. If it does confirm there is a problem in the Hybrid Battery, Honda is currently having a "Battery Exchange Program". Only remanufactured IMA battery modules are available for repair; new units are not available. Any internal failure requiring IMA battery module disassembly qualifies for this program. This bulletin applies to all Honda IMA batteries, both in-warranty and out-of-warranty.