proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College training Current Lead Tech
67965572

1997 Honda accord: SE. My code reader..Lockup Solenoid..cel

My mother inlaw has a 1997 Honda Accord SE. My code reader had a P1758 "A/T Concerns" - Lockup Solenoid with a constant flashing D4. I reset the codes and both the flashing D4 and CEL came back right away as soon as I started the car. This apparently has a Japanese Trans per the Dealership

I replaced the Solenoid with a new one (Honda Dealer) and reset codes...same. I took it over to a diagnostics place that I take cars the I buy and they checked all wiring and came back with having to replace the PCM. I reset the PCM and now have a different code P1753 "A/T Concerns"

In my research there is one article that says to clean the shift lock solenoid. Since it first fired off a P1758 and then a P1753 after replacing the PCM do you think it could be the Shift lock solenoid?

Also, is the Shift lock solenoid right under the Lockup solenoid?

If cleaning or replacing the Shift lock solenoid doesn't work then what else could I check? Could it be that the Trabs fluid needs to be changed...may not have been changed for some time?
Category: Honda
Expert:  proautotech replied 2 years ago.

proautotech :

Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a shop foreman. I will be helping you today.

proautotech :

Verify the solenoid is 12 to 25 ohms. Check the Yellow wire from the solenoid back to terminal D1 of the Engine Control Module. If the wire harness and connections are good, unplug the ECM and power the solenoid through an amp meter and look for 1.2 to 0.4 amps of correct flow when the solenoid activates. Compare that circuit to terminal D7, the shift solenoid "A", they should both have the same current flow. If the circuit tests good and there is not a harness or a connection problem then look for the possibility of a faulty ECM even know it is new.

proautotech :

I have a feeling the problem will indeed be related to the lockup solenoid. Possibly a bad wire that is why you have to ohm it.

proautotech :

• Lockup solenoid 'A' control circuit is open or shorted to ground

• Lockup solenoid 'A' circuit is shorted to voltage

• Lockup solenoid 'A' has failed

• PCM has failed

• TCM has failed

proautotech :

This is the standard code information.

Customer:

The diagnostics shop that I deal with ran test for many hours yesterday and then claim that the wiring tests out ok. That is why I replaced the PCM later today...dame problem. Prior to all that I put a new lockup solenoid on. But now is is showing a different code than before P1753. I wonder why a new code, and doesn't this code point to the shift solenoid?

proautotech :

Click here

Customer:

On this accord SE, I'm not sure there is a separate TCM is there?

proautotech :

No.

proautotech :

But the reason it is switching codes would be related to a bad connection or voltage issue.

Customer:

ok. Since I already switched the PCM, I will take it to a different diagnostics place just in case. This is my first time on the sight. After I close this window, can I access this thread again and continue to ask questions on this same issue?

proautotech :

You can always continue to reply to me. If you rate my answer this is how I get credit. But this does not close out the session. You can set a bookmark to the page and return even if you rate the answer now.

Customer:

So to repeat, since I already replaced the PCM more than likly its a wiring problem? Do you think its prudent to simply replace the shift solenoid? or not?

proautotech :

Did you already replace the shift solenoid once before?

Customer:

No, I replaced the lockup solenoid

Customer:

That is what the first code was saying

proautotech :

I would not throw anymore parts at it.

proautotech :

Just ohm the sensor this is simple and easy to do.

proautotech :

If it is out of spec replace.

Customer:

ok. I will run with the wiring at the diagnostics shop and start there.

proautotech :

Excellent. Keep me posted. If I can do anything to help just give me a message.

Customer:

I will rate and then come back after I run into the next wall

proautotech :

I will talk to you soon!

proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: College training Current Lead Tech