Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

honda: odyssey..can go into other drive gears but not reverse.

my honda 2000 odyssey is not going into reverse. can go into other drive gears but not reverse.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that the shifter wont go into reverse, or that the vehicle doesnt move when put into reverse?

Is the check engine light on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle doesn't move when put into reverse.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, and is the check engine light on?

Will it eventually move in reverse if you keep in reverse for 5-10 minutes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this an internal failure in the transmission and will require testing to know which of the below are responsible:

2000 ODYSSEY - Vehicle moves in D4, D3, 2, and 1, but not in R (or moves forward in R)

Diagnostic Procedure:

1. Shift fork shaft stuck

2. Modulator valve defective

3. Reverse Clutch Pressure Control (CPC) valve defective

4. 4th accumulator defective

5. 4th clutch defective

6. Reverse gears worn or damaged

Also check for:

- Check the line pressure and 4th clutch pressure.

- Check for a missing shift fork bolt on the shift fork shaft.

- If the ATF strainer is clogged with particles of steel or aluminum, inspect the ATF pump. If the ATF pump is OK, and no cause for the contamination is found, replace the torque converter.

- Inspect the reverse selector gear teeth chamfers, and inspect the engagement teeth chamfers of the countershaft 4th and reverse gear. Replace the reverse gears and the reverse selector if they are worn or damaged. If the transmission makes clicking, grinding, or whirring noises, also replace the mainshaft 4th gear, reverse idler gear, and countershaft 4th gear.

- If the 4th clutch feed pipe guide in the end cover is scored by the mainshaft, inspect the ball bearing for excessive movement in the transmission housing. If the ball bearing is OK, replace the end cover as it is dented. The O-ring under the guide is probably worn.

- Replace the mainshaft if the bushing for the 3rd and 4th clutch feed pipes are loose or damaged. If the 4th clutch feed pipe is damaged or out of round, replace the end cover.

- Inspect the clutch piston, clutch piston check valve, and O-rings. Check the spring retainer for wear and damage. Inspect the clutch end-plate-to-top-disc clearance. If the clearance is out of tolerance, inspect the clutch discs and plates for wear and damage. If the discs and plates are worn or damaged, replace them as a set. If they are OK, adjust the clearance with the clutch end plate.

Because most of the testing requires dropping and tearing down the transmission, I dont recommend someone trying this themselves unless they have a lot of transmission rebuilding experience as further damage can occur if not familiar with internal transmission components

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON and/or SMILEY FACE to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise please click the accept button and/or smiley face to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What will be the problem if after putting the car in reverse for 5-10 min and it moves?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

that will help narrow it down to either the Reverse pressure control valve in the valve body or the 4th clutch failing.

If the reverse pressure control valve, then rebuild of the valve body. If the 4th clutch, then partial rebuild of the transmission.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can the reverse pressure control valve or transmission be completely changed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I MEAN TOTAL REPLACEMENT INSTEAD OF REPAIR
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the transmission can be replaced as a unit instead of repairing/rebuilding it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ALSO noticed that my reverse tank is empty, please what can of fliud do I need to refill it?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

I am not sure what a "reverse tank" is. do you mean the coolant reservoir tank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the manual (2000 odyssey), it called the compartment just left side when you open the bonnet by the radiator, a reverse tank.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

That is the coolant reservoir tank, also known as the overflow tank

graphic

That is for the radiator coolant. It has nothing to do with the transmission or reverse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are right. thanks. but just before i accept, what kind of fluid do i need to use to refill it?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

A 50/50 mix of long life coolant/antifreeze and water. You can use Xerex, Prestone, Dex-Cool or any other long life coolant

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.