proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College training Current Lead Tech
67965572

1997 CR-V: sheared whilst driving..shaft..cv joint..visually

the lower ball joint on my 1997 CR-V sheared whilst driving recently and the resultant collapse pulled the half shalf out of the cv joint.Unfortunately the rollers fell off the spider.I have replaced the ball joint and re-fitted the shaft into the housing but I was unable to fit the rollers on to the spider or into the housing in their original order . I understand the components of the cv joint should be match marked when removed but obviously this did not happen, and it was impossible to match up visually. Now the vehicle is back on the road I am getting a tapping sound when moving which increases as speed increases.
Is this due to the parts not being re fitted in their original positions, and would new rollers solve the problem, or should I renew the complete cv joint.
Have you heard of a lower ball joint shearing before. I have completed 97000 miles

proautotech :

Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a shop foreman. I will be helping you today.

proautotech :

You will want to renew the joint. If the joint is not properly marked, it will be hard to get it working properly.

proautotech :

I have not seen to many sheared ball joints. I have seen the separate completely.

proautotech :

I have rebuild a few C/V but anymore its not as common. Re-manufactured joints cost is close to the same.

proautotech :

But if you did not mark them before refitting you not have a bad joint. The pins never go back to the original state.

Customer:

not clear on last answer.could you elaborate.also it is safe to use for time being

proautotech :

Sorry about the last sentence. If you did not mark before you tore it down, its close to impossible to get it back properly.

proautotech :

You can drive it for now but I would not go very far in this condition.

proautotech :

If the noise is bad it could be shearing the spider. This is why I don't believe its a good idea to use.

Customer:

thanks for your help.to sum up is my only answer to fit a new cv joint complete.

proautotech :

Yes. Remember next time to get a paint mark when you tear down.

proautotech :

They sell these nice auto mark pens. They are nice to use with greasy items.

Customer:

I wouldn't take down normally, but job done for me by shaft being pulled out by wheel collapsing outwards. If only eh!

proautotech :

It seems to be that way at times. Many people are unsuccessful completely. Many customers who have a problem are unable to fix it themselves. This in the end costs people way more. You seem to understand what your doing. Save as much as you can.

Customer:

Thanks.Pressing button now.