Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 Honda Accord: replaced the timing belt..159,000 miles..Replacing

I just replaced the timing belt on a 2000 Honda Accord that has 159,000 miles on it. Replacing the belt was not a difficult task. Upon replacement I started the engine and it ran very well, for about two to three minutes. Then it just quit. Upon checking all work I discovered that the torque on the crank shaft bolt had backed off, causing the cam to come out of alignment. I reset the timing belt and have not be able to get the engine to start yet. I checked for smooth operation in the crank shaft and camshaft, no binding. I have done a compression test, being fully aware that this is an interference engine and all cylinders have good compression at least as best I can tell. I had to test with a cold engine, and did observe all cylinders with no leak down. I have replaced the oil and filter, and replaced the fuel with fresh fuel, the old fuel was almost a year and half old. The new spark plugs were all found with fuel fouling,heaving black coking, but I attribute this to not starting. Actually the engine turns over and I do get a rough idle for about two to three seconds before it stops. Using my scan tool I show no codes, however, I have a yellow light with four flashing indicators telling me the catalyst monitor, evap system monitor, oxgen sensor monitor, and EGR monitor can not finish their tests to give an better reading. Please advise.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with.

Are you saying that the engine will not restart after this incident or that you are afraid to try nd start and run the engine?

And you are saying there are no codes in the computer correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The engine starts hesitantly, and idles very roughly for about 2 to 3 seconds then shuts off. And yes there are no codes in the computer I get a 0 (zero). With the four flashing sensor monitors I have stated that cannot complete their function, I suppose because the engine with not run. Plugs are coked indicating excess fuel, as I understand it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. what were the compression readings when you did the compression test?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the compression readings were all in excess of 170, and remember that these had to be done on a cold engine. No leak down. And I will be glad to hit the green accept button, so please advise where it is I see nothing except reply to expert.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thanks for being honest with me. However, I was just sending over info requests to you so that I could get all of the information from you so I could get you a good answer. This reply should see an accept or rate my answer button.

From what your telling me, it honestly sounds like the engine is just out of time. I honestly do not think you have bent your valves as of yet because the engine does run just a bit. If there was not compression at all due to bent valves, i don't think that the engine would run even the slightest bit. Of course, it is possible for one or two cylinders to have damaged valves.. but then you would get low compression readings on those cylinders.

Try lining up the marks again just to be sure. You can remove the number one spark plug and look down the cylinder to be sure that the number one piston is at TDC just to be sure that the mark on the crank sprocket is lining up correctly and is not throwing you a curve ball.
Amedee, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just that, but I am willing to try it again. It would probably be a lot easier with adjustment on the distributor. But as I will try you suggestion, thanks for your time and knowledge.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the accept and the bonus!

Please keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation if you have any further question. I will be more than happy to continue to assist you if needed.

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me I am not shy in asking for help. Thanks again.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
You bet!

Have a great weekend!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Same to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am back with one more question, I have reset timing and cleared all codes and after starting and running for a few minutes, I shut the engine down with a check engine light. Upon checking I retrieved a code 1361 which is the tdc sensor receiving intermittent codes. Does this indicate that the sensor is bad, the last time I got this code I checked the ohms and according to my multimeter the ohms were in the middle of the required range. Please advise.
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

The definition for this code is

"Top Dead Center Sensor 1 Circuit Intermittent Signal"

As long as the valve timing and wiring to the sensor are ok, it is usually just a bad TDC sensor.
Amedee, ASE Master Technician