Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

2007 Accord front passenger door wont open

Customer Question

2007 Accord front passenger door won't open
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
The inner door handle doesn't come off it's part of the door panel. If you pull it you'll break the inner cable which is sounds like the dealer did already. Here's a service bulletin on this problem HERE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any way to get the door panel off without opening the door? Not this car but on another we had once the door was open the door panel was easy. This door won't open and there seems to be no room between the door frame and the car body to work on getting the panel off from the inside with the door closed. Sounds like you're right though the cable was broken. The car was back at the dealer last Friday and they said something to my wife about replacing the lock accuator.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
You can't open it at all from either handle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope. Neither the outer or inner handle opens the door. There is no resistance on the handle when comparing it to the other doors. I think I'm pretty much stuck aren't I?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Does the lock rod unlock then lock immediately after by itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sir. It stays unlocked or locked depending how you want it. That's why I don't think it is the electronic lock accuator. It feels as if the cable isn't attached on one end or the other. This is why I was trying to look at the handle, cable, and interior of the door. Know the door panel and the water shield needs to come off but don't think I'm capable of this with the door closed. It's like the handles (interior and exterior) aren't connected somewhere. The mechanism that opens the door when you pull the handle isn't operating. Guess we're going back to the dealer. It's just they quoted us $320 to fix this the last time that's why I was trying to see if there was something I could do here. The first time was just a $55 charge.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Ya I could post the service manual instructions for the door panel removal if you want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I could look at them for some hints. If you could post a pdf file I'd appreciate it. Kind of fel I'm running out of options here.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Click HERE, HERE and HERE.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience: Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kyle. Mike here again not too sure if you'll get this or not! Got the door panel off with the door closed. That was thrilling to say the least. Know what the problem is now but not sure how to fix it. The door lock accuator pivots forward when it does the door won't unlock even though the lock stem moves up and down. Pivot the accuator backwards, where it belongs and both door handles (inner and outer) work. The door is now open but can't get the back of the accuator to stay in place. Almost feels as if a piece of plastic that holds the lock cable should hold the back of the acceator in place also. Can you send me anything that shows how this assembly is supposed to go together? The accuator isn't broken just seems to be improperly installed.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
Can you take a picture so I can see it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really can't see inside the door. I've been feeling around it seems like it should be held in place by the bracket. Am going to the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do. Otherwise I'll probably try to wire it in place. Have to loop it around and twist it tight. That's about all I can think to do with it.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know then