Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech

2006 Honda CR-V: it warms..Relays in glovebox are clicking..light goes

I have a 2006 Honda CR-V stalling problem once it warms up. Relays in glovebox are clicking when it happens. Sometimes gear indicator light goes out without stall, sometimes light and tachometer affected, sometimes complete stall. This happens both when idling at a stop sign and 70 mph on highway. Has new ignition switch, new battery, new fuel pump relay, and the 2 brown relays next to fuel pump relay. What could this be?

Kyle Northrop :

(Edited by Moderator)

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Honda expert here at I'd be glad to help you with your question.

Please disregard the previous reply I hit the wrong button and posted a link or something.

Is the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No check engine light and no codes on my reader.

Have you owned the vehicle since new? Any water get into the interior in the past?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bought it brand new, no water inside.

The problem is worse the warmer the weather.

Also, after changing the battery it has not reset the readiness codes but I have been driving it very little. (when key is turned on engine light comes on about 20 sec then blinks 5 times)

The best thing you can do is have a dealer use the factory scan tool and take an on-board snapshot using the drive recorder function while driving it for the problem. If the problem happens in drive record mode you can see what turned off first and pinpoint the problem from there. It sounds like an ECU problem to me honestly but I don't think you'll be able to diagnose it without a factory scan tool.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a possibility there could be some kind of intermittent alternator fault once it gets hot?

It's possible. If so it would show up on that drive recorder mode for sure.