Auto_Enlightenment
Auto_Enlightenment, Team Leader Tech
Experience:  Honda Master Technician & ASE Master Technician
66798540

I have a 1991 Honda civic Hatchback. That will not start.

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Auto_Enlightenment replied 2 years ago.

Auto_Enlightenment : Hello there, I am a Master Automobile Technician certified by Honda and ASE. I can help you with the problem you are having with your Honda!
Auto_Enlightenment : So it cranks but won' t start?
Customer :

corect

Customer :

that is correct

Customer :

hello

Auto_Enlightenment :

Sorry, I am looking up schematics. I'll get back to you shortly.

Customer :

sorry i replaced the standard relay

Auto_Enlightenment :

The symptoms you describe combined with the parts you have already replaced lead me to believe either the coil or igniter has failed. Have you checked for spark when your cranking? There was a Bulletin regarding the Igniters on these vehicles. The igniter is located in the distributor under the cap, can you pull the cap off to check something?

Customer :

I am out of town by myself that will be difficult.

Customer :

I will see it is getting dark what am I looking for

Auto_Enlightenment :

Typically when you have a crank/no start situation it's either relay, igniter, or coil. Since you have replaced the relay, I am leaning towards either the igniter or coil but would like to walk you through some checks that require a digital meter. If you don't have a meter and are in a pinch and had to guess on a part then I would go with the igniter, it is the most common failure.

Auto_Enlightenment :

If you could get someone to crank the motor, we could at least verify whether you have spark or not by...

Auto_Enlightenment :

1st - remove one spark plug wire

Auto_Enlightenment :

2nd - hold spark plug wire end close to anything metal under the hood

Customer :

I have a meter but it is dark now. how should I check it ?

Auto_Enlightenment :

3rd - have an assitant crank the motor and watch/listen for a spark coming from the end of the plug wire

Auto_Enlightenment :

oh good, since you have a meter, give me a few minutes and I'll link you to some tests to do. Thanks!

Auto_Enlightenment :

Sorry for the delay! Here are the tests for both the igniter and the coil as well as the bulletin on the igniters. If you need ANY help with the tests, please let me know.

Customer :

Also none of the indicator lights are on when i crank the engine

Auto_Enlightenment :

if you turn the key to the ACC position (don't crank the motor) do the indicator lights come on momentarily before going out?

Customer :

they dont come on at all

Auto_Enlightenment :

none of them come on?

Customer :

that is correct

Auto_Enlightenment :

I'm sorry, I meant to say the RUN position not ACC. You have in order... ACC - RUN - START. If its in the RUN position, do the lights come on? Sorry to be redundant, just want to be sure we're on the same page

Customer :

not on in either position . I get three beeps that it.

Customer :

Give a moment I will double check. back in a few

Auto_Enlightenment :

Ok

Customer :

okay i am back. no turn signal. hazards working. blower heat working. no wiper blade motion

Customer :

no indicator light in either position

Customer :

I have no clue whats going on

Customer :

In your best guess if i cannot resolve thi on my on what will it cost to do a full diagnostic

Auto_Enlightenment :

Check Fuse 1 - 10Amp in dash fuse box

Customer :

I pulled fuses and checked themthey are good. give me second to see if i checked that one

Auto_Enlightenment :

That fuse feeds a lot of things, including indicators, hazards, distributor, etc

Customer :

okay i dut id check that fuse but no power is coming there. what postion shouldi have the key in to check for power

Auto_Enlightenment :

That fuse is hot in run or start. How are you checking the fuse power? Test light?

Customer :

no key in the ignition

Customer :

and a digital meter

Customer :

no power on fuse 2 also

Auto_Enlightenment :

Are you checking both sides of the fuse?

Customer :

yes

Customer :

all the fuses under the hood in engine compartment has power

Customer :

i did not check power for 13 and fourteen. but i can.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Fuse 33 - 50amp in the main fuse box feeds power to the dash fuses. Have you checked fuse 1 & 2 with the key in RUN position?

Customer :

I dont think so. Is that under the hood

Auto_Enlightenment :

yeah

Customer :

fuse 33 that is

Customer :

I get power on both sides on all fuses under the hood

Auto_Enlightenment :

ok

Customer :

but i not sure if i checked 1 and 2 with key in the run position I was just looking for power. 1 and 2 seemed logical

Auto_Enlightenment :

fuse 2 then should have power in START and fuse 1 shoudl have power in RUN or START

Customer :

okay i did not do that. if no power then. what should I check.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Then we're looking at a wiring problem somewhere in the harness

Customer :

ouch

Auto_Enlightenment :

terminals, connectors, etc

Auto_Enlightenment :

Yeah but sometimes it can be something simple

Customer :

It has to be something simple. I will check those in the AM. Is there a way to get back in touch or just take it to a expert

Auto_Enlightenment :

I just realized I misread part of the schematic.

Auto_Enlightenment :

I stated fuse 2 fed the distributor as well as the indicators etc. but, the distributors power splits off just before the fuse 2 so...

Customer :

no worrys I repaired Patriot missle sytems and one can over look

Auto_Enlightenment :

any failure would most likely be before the dash fuse box

Customer :

true cause I get power before that

Customer :

any idea where

Auto_Enlightenment :

When it comes to wires, they almost never fail except in cases of bad connections or outside influences(i.e. rats, rubbing, cut, etc). I'd look for obvious damage from outside influences first. If you see nothing then start checking connections. I can get you the schematics you need.

Customer :

This seems to be a major task while working out of town should i just take it somwhere. Because I a confident that it is a electrical problem

Auto_Enlightenment :

I certainly wouldn't want to hassle with it if I were traveling so I can appreciate that sentiment. Try to find a reputable shop that is good with electrical

Customer :

Thank you for your help much appreciate. you have been helpful. I just don't have the the time in your best guess if you was to do this what will the damage be

Auto_Enlightenment :

give me one minute I just saw something

Customer :

0kay

Auto_Enlightenment :

I was just reading through this chat again because sometimes they get kind of messed up on this end and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything

Auto_Enlightenment :

so you have basically nothing working in the car right?

Auto_Enlightenment :

no blower, wipers?

Auto_Enlightenment :

and it cranks/turns over?

Customer :

yes I have heater blower. Dome lights . Horn. Headlights. Hazard Signals. But however when I left on the road inoticed no washer was working for the windsheild. the problem started on a humid morning. I started the car turned on the wiper blades. it died an has not started since. it does crank but does not start.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Hmmm, let me think on that. So it die when you turned on the wipers?

Customer :

that is true

Customer :

they where moving slow so i stayed idled. backed up.and thats all she wrote. Tried to push start since a manuel transmission. nothing

Customer :

thats probably becuase of electrical fuel pump

Auto_Enlightenment :

I haven't forgot you just thinking and looking

Customer :

As well as I

Auto_Enlightenment :

What trim is the civic? sedan, hatch, dx, lx ???

Customer :

Hatch

Auto_Enlightenment :

dx, lx, si?

Customer :

si

Auto_Enlightenment :

Thanks

Auto_Enlightenment :

I'm gonna think on this one for a while and get someone else to look at this if you don't mind

Customer :

that fine with me. should I stay on line

Auto_Enlightenment :

No, unfortunately it will be tomorrow before I can get back to you.

Customer :

thru e-mail or?

Auto_Enlightenment :

I'll come back to the chat when I have something and it will notify you through email. Or check back tomorrow

Customer :

okay i will save page and exit. gotta send out a daily report before I have no job

Auto_Enlightenment :

I'll let you know as soon as I come up with something

Customer :

thanks

Auto_Enlightenment :

Thanks You!

Auto_Enlightenment :

I'm back. Did you get a chance to check those fuses for power with key on/start? I've been looking at this wiper circuit trying to find something in common between it and the circuits to start/run your engine. I have not found anything that jusmps out at me. It's a long shot but there is a ground I'd like you to check by the starter relay under the left side of dash on the kick panel. It will be a terminal with black wire(s) bolted to the kick panel with a 10mm Bolt. Look for broken wire/terminal end, corrosion, etc. Maybe remove it and clean up with sandpaper. Also, if you dont mind, tell me exactly what is not working i.e. wipers, indicator lights, etc.???

Auto_Enlightenment :

Check the ground G401 shown in picture 50

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

This is what I found not working. Indicator lights,Turn signals,window washer.

Customer :

I have viewed your photos to he link above. Caught up in a meeting most of today. I will check out those in the am and let you know what I have found.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Sounds good, and I will keep scratching at this to see if I can come up with something.Thanks, have a good evening!

Customer :

thanks same time tommorrow will let you Know what I have found. Taking a personal day to get it done. Thanks a bunch.

Customer :

I would have never thought to look there. weird problem.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Yes it is. Check back periodically because I may post something.

Customer :

On line now

Hey there, I just wanted to check in with you to see if you've made any progress on the civic. I couldn't find any relationship between the circuits of the non-working things on the car and the starting/engine control system problem. Without actually pinning out a bunch of terminals, if I had to guess, I'd say you may have a bad under dash fuse box. Power for the things that are out as well as the main relay for the fuel pump and engine control all run through the dash fuse box. If there is anything I can help you with, please feel free to get in touch with me and I'll do all I can to help you out! Best of luck to you.Thanks.