Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

Honda CRV: 2008 Honda CRV - the remote did not work to unlock

Customer Question

2008 Honda CRV - the remote did not work to unlock the door so the key was used. This set off the alarm and now can not get alarm to shut off. All remote buttons pushed in various combinations.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.

Kyle Northrop :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Honda expert here at JustAnswer.com. I'd be glad to help you with your question.

Kyle Northrop :

Try inserting the key into the driver's door and lock then unlock the door and see if that shuts off the alarm.

Customer:

hold on, this is for my parents. They disconnected the battery and going to try that suggestion now.

Customer:

they connected the battery and I can hear the alarm.

Customer:

they just tried to lock and unload and the car is beeping with the occasional alarm

Customer:

it is a steady single beep.

Customer:

Now the beeps stopped but will not start.

Customer:

the car will not start that is.

Kyle Northrop :

Okay hang on I want to look at the manual

Customer:

they are checking the battery connection

Customer:

my thought was the battery on the remote is dead, opening the door with the key triggered the alarm and with no battery in the remote they could not shut it off.

Kyle Northrop :

If the battery connection isn't tight or has corrosion on it that could cause this too

Kyle Northrop :

The remotes are NOT working correct?

Kyle Northrop :

The keyless remotes/alarm is factory and came with the vehicle?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

yes to factory question

Kyle Northrop :

okay just checking

Kyle Northrop :

I should be able to help you with it

Customer:

asking them to see if the remote works

Kyle Northrop :

k

Customer:

they say the battery connection is tight. Headlights do not turn on and car will not start. Now looking like the battery is dead.

Kyle Northrop :

Yes sounds like it. Can you jump the battery at this point?

Customer:

He has a battery charger but it just started to rain so he does not want to mess with it. So, I guess that I need some steps to try assuming they can get the car jumped or battery charged.

Customer:

When he tried your first suggestion the car started to beep. The beeps finally stopped but it seems like that may be due to the battery.

Customer:

Would first be to see if the alarm goes off then try to lock and unlock with the key in the drivers door?

Kyle Northrop :

If the charger has a boost mode or start mode you can use it to jump the battery so the engine can start also. I think the problem is all going to be a low charged battery at this point. The reason the alarm goes off is because it has low voltage to the control unit. Part of the alarm's normal function is to go off if the battery is reconnected (voltage is lost and comes back)

Kyle Northrop :

So you need a solid battery in the car FIRST

Kyle Northrop :

Then you can do the door trick but I think you'll find the keyless will work again once the battery is good.

Customer:

OK, nothing I can do now until it stops raining. How long do the remote batteries normally last and are they user replaceable?

Kyle Northrop :

The remote batteries last 3-4 years typically and they are maybe $5-6 dollars for a new one. They are user replaceable but you need a #00 screwdriver OR you'll strip out the screw and have to replace the whole key (at $125 plus programming)

Kyle Northrop :

Sears has the screwdriver cheap for about $2.99 I actually use the Sears one at the dealer.

Kyle Northrop :

It's called a mini electronics screwdriver.

Kyle Northrop :

Here's the link,

Kyle Northrop :

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-00-x-1-2-in-screwdriver/p-00941647000P

Kyle Northrop :

It's actually $3.99 sorry

Customer:

hold on, looks like it is/was the battery. he braved the rain and hooked up the charger

Kyle Northrop :

ha ha

Customer:

As soon as he conected the charger he was able to start the car and the remote now locks, unlocks the door and no alarm.

Kyle Northrop :

Normally the battery fixes it. Like I said it has a function where it goes off if the battery goes low or is disconnected then re-connected. It's extremely annoying especially for us techs

Customer:

he is going to let the battery charge then have it checked tomorrow. Thanks for the quick response. Do I hit accept to pay?

Kyle Northrop :

Yes

Kyle Northrop :

Good job

Customer:

OK, thanks a ton. Have a good night.

Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience: Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech