Andrew
Andrew, Honda Technician
Experience:  12 year Master Tech and ASE Certified.
64561840

Honda Odyssey, 1999, transmission, location of solenoids, and

Honda Odyssey, 1999, transmission, location of solenoids, and which one to change if 1st & 2nd shift rather hard, and reverse also.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.

slonneman95 :

Hello let me help you with any of your Honda problems.

slonneman95 :

Honestly it sounds like you have an internal failure in your transmission that is causing your problem. When the clutch packs wear, the material then contaminates the fluid and then causes a restriction in the filter and valve bodies. When this happens the trans starts to shift harsh and slip.

Customer:

Well, there hasn't been any screen clogging, just dirty transmission fluid. can you comment on that?

slonneman95 :

The filter is located internally in the transmission and catches virtually all the contaminants before getting to the solenoids.

slonneman95 :

I will be glad to give you the location of the shift solenoids if you would like to change them but I am not sure that is going to help you with your problem.

Customer:

A mechanic who didn't know Odysseys needed ATF DW fluid put almost 5 quarts of fluid in the vehicle. Last may I drained it and put in the correct amount and it ran much better. There was no problem with too much fluid until the warm weather in May then it was slipping very badly. Slipping went away with the 3 quarts only. Did this maybe do alot of damage , being in use for 5 months with too much fluid?

Customer:

It would be good to know locations of solenoids.

slonneman95 :

The wrong type of fluid could have caused some premature wear on the clutch packs which could be contributing to your problems now. Too much fluid is not good but will not cause any damage.

slonneman95 :

Ok shift solenoids B and C are located under the starter motor. Solenoid B is going to be the top solenoid with the black connector and solenoid C is the bottom with the brown connector.

Customer:

Thanks for the locations. My mechanic insists that they don't exist. Looks like I'll do it myself.It does make sense, that the internal filter is clogged and thus causes a restriction of pressure and the correct flow of fluid in the transmissions gears. So the internal filter cannot be changed easily?

slonneman95 :

The torque converter/Shift Solenoid valve A is located on top of the trans under the thermostat housing. It will have a gray connector.

slonneman95 :

No unfortunately the filter is not easy to change at all. You basically replace it during a re-build since it requires the case and shafts to be removed to access it.

Customer:

Sounds like - - Japanese engineering at its finest! Wouldn't it be great to let a bunch of woman engineers design a car just to see what we'd end up with?

slonneman95 :

The A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A and B Replacement is probably what you cleaned earlier. It is also on top/front of the trans and has six bolts holding it on to the case.

slonneman95 :

HaHa....yeah the import engineers have some great ideas but this was one of the worst they had. They expected these transmission to never break but man were they wrong.

slonneman95 :

Let me know if you need any more help with this.

slonneman95 :

Please hit accept and leave positive feedback. Thank You for letting me assist you today!

Customer:

I looked for my receipt and left it out in the car. but yes, I believe it was the A/T solenoid, with 2 screens. I think for now you have provided the direction I need. Can you make an educated guess at how many more thousands of miles I may get out of this car? I understand it's impossible to know for sure, but I really baby it and live in a rural area so it's not really stressed.

slonneman95 :

If you are not experiencing major slipping at this point and continue to change the fluid every 15K miles you may be able to get another 30-40K out of it. Although it is hard to say for sure but I have seen some last quite a long time with slipping problems.

slonneman95 :

The thing that kills the transmissions quickly is long trips and roads that are steep.....it puts quite a strain on the trans.

Customer:

Thanks for your thoughts. And that last thought is very helpful. I had the major incident on a long trip and hope the external transmission cooler will help. And there isn't too much steepness, but gentle hills here. Will the external cooler help on long trips? Or is it better to just forget it?

slonneman95 :

Yes the external cooler help quite a bit.....it is when the fluid get's very hot and the viscosity breaks down that causes a lot of the damage. More air to cool the fluid will help keep the internal components cool and last longer.

Customer:

Ok, take care. and thanks. It's 10:00 EST and I've got to go to work at 5:30. No sense addiing to the huge pool of people who have lost sleep over their honda odyssey transmissions. I got mine used for $3000 and really should have only paid $1500 but gosh, I play music and the car fits all my band gear and the guys if I need to....

slonneman95 :

Take care also and that is actually a pretty good deal on your van even with some trans problems. Just let me know if you have any questions in the future.

slonneman95 :

Please hit accept and leave positive feedback. Thank You.

Customer:

Great, good night...

Customer:

Do I leave positive feed back here or somewhere else?

slonneman95 :

Once you hit accept it will take you take you to that screen. Thanks and good night to you also.

Customer:

Here's my web site if you want to hear a music clip of me and my band (you can just imagine showing up at gigs in that swanky odyssey - I call it my mobile living room) - chrisbonoli.com

Andrew, Honda Technician
Experience: 12 year Master Tech and ASE Certified.