Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

Honda Odyssey: 2004 Odyssey - OEM radio, instrument panel lights,

2004 Odyssey - OEM radio, instrument panel lights, tail lights, and "remove key chime" malfunctioned within the past week

A bit of history . . . a couple years ago caught my toddler putting coins in the CD slot. Around the same time had a mouse nest behind the center console and took a couple days to get it out (long story). About a year ago, starting having issues with the sound going out on the radio/CD/DVD even though the device showed that the source was playing. Banging on the dash usually got it back working, and until this week we have not had that problem for the last few months. About a week ago I changed the oil and reset the oil change reminder and when I removed the key from the ignition, the chime kept ringing and the console lights stayed lit as if I didn't take out the key. I tried everything to get it to stop and saw in a forum that banging on the wheel got it to stop -- so I tried and it worked for me as well. A few days ago the radio completely went dead - no lights would turn on and banging on the dash didn't help.

Troubleshooting done this morning (didn't fix anything):
*took 7 coins out of the radio - didn't fix the problem
*Verified that all the fuses worked.
*Checked the 12v constant and 12v ignition wires to the radio. The 12v constant wire (wht/blue) did not show any voltage (it should have), but the 12v wht/red wire did show 12v when the key was put into the on position as it should.

At sunset, I got a call from my wife who is taking our two kids to grandma's house 250 miles away and she discovered that the backlight to the instrument panel is not working. She turned the dimmer knob and it didn't do anything. Just a few minutes ago, someone was honking at her because her rear tail lights quit working. She's not going to drive anymore tonight out of fear of what might fail next, but plans to finish her trip tomorrow morning and get the van fixed there.

Questions:
1) Should she be fine driving the last 100 miles tomorrow i.e. Is it likely that brakes, airbags, sliding doors, or other critical systems will malfunction?
2) What is/are the most likely cause(s) of these electrical issues? (i.e. "It could be A B or C")
3) What would be a fair cost to repair each of the suspected problems? (i.e. "If its A, that should cost $100. If B, $300 . . . ")
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.

Kyle Northrop :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an expert here at JustAnswer.com. I'd be glad to help you out with this problem.

Customer:

Ok. What are your thoughts?

Kyle Northrop :

Let's make it easier for me. What isn't working right now?

Kyle Northrop :

Dash lights, radio, brake lights?

Customer:

correct. Also had the "key reminder chime" malfunction a day or two ago, but that seems to work now

Kyle Northrop :

Okay check the fuse #10(15A) in the pass. interior fusebox

Customer:

all the fuses checked out fine

Kyle Northrop :

Recheck that fuse for me

Kyle Northrop :

It controls the audio, brake light relay and dash lights

Kyle Northrop :

Also fuse #9 (10A) in the driver's interior fusebox.

Customer:

Also, the 12v constant to the radio does not register any voltage

Kyle Northrop :

Usually the coins short the circuit and blow a fuse. It's actually quite common for kids to put the coins in the CD slot. I get 1-2 a month

Kyle Northrop :

Just double check those 2 fuses for me.

Customer:

I don't have the car available to me right now. But I did test all of the fuses with a multimeter this morning and they were all fine. If it isn't a fuse, any other suspects?

Kyle Northrop :

It's a fuse. Don't use a meter on the two I told you to check. Pull them out. Sometimes fuses break in the legs and you will show voltage in the fuse when it's actually blown.

Kyle Northrop :

It's rare but you could have damaged a multiplex control unit

Kyle Northrop :

I doubt it though

Kyle Northrop :

I think fuse for sure

Kyle Northrop :

I see it way too much.

Kyle Northrop :

Want to wait until you have the van and let me know?

Customer:

That would be great. If my wife can't get it fixed, should there be any issues with her driving 100 miles tomorrow to get home?

Kyle Northrop :

I wouldn't drive without brake lights. Too risky. I'm sure it's a fuse though. Have her pull those actual fuses and check them. One is blown.

Customer:

OK. So do I click on "save and exit" and I can still accept your response tomorrow or follow up if I need more assistance?

Kyle Northrop :

Yes. You can accept tomorrow and follow up and even if you accept you can still follow up so don't worry about that. I'm here if you need to go further with it.

Customer:

Awesome, thanks. Glad to hear that its not uncommon.

Kyle Northrop :

no problem see you soon

Customer:

The #10 was blown and when replaced the rear running lights now work (and probably the dash lights but its too bright for her to check). Radio still doesn't work. I had her check #9 and 11 of the passenger, as well as #8 of the drivers side and all looked intact (these are all referenced on the Haynes diagram for the sound system).

Customer:

Couple questions about the radio:

Customer:

1) is it likely that the coins could have fried something to make the radio non-functional

Customer:

2) does the radio require a 12v constant to function? My understanding is that the 12v constant to the radio is just to keep radio presets etc when the car is turned off. My hunch is that even without a 12v constant, the radio should turn on when I turn the key, but I would just need to put in the security code every time I start the car (just like if I disconnected the negative lead from the battery).

Customer:

If it is relevant, my odyssey has a rear entertainment system

Kyle Northrop :

Hi again,

Kyle Northrop :

The radio can short out internally. In the past I've had a couple where the coin actually melts or welds itself to the pins on the circuit board. It's hard to explain but where the harness pulls into the back on the other side of that the pins go into the radio then bend 90 degrees and are soldered to the circuit board. That bend is where coins seem to do the melt/weld/stick to the pins. You'll have to pull the radio and carefully take off the top metal cover and look inside.

Kyle Northrop :

I'm totally sure about the constant. I'm thinking the main power is on the IGN + and you're correct about the constant being for things like the presets or on some cars the ANT, etc.

Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience: Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech