Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

my right signal lights wont turn off even with the engine off.

Customer Question

my right signal lights wont turn off even with the engine off.  What is the issue and how do i fix it.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm an expert here at JustAnswer.com. I'd be glad to help you out with this problem.

What is happening exactly? You turn on the signal arm on the right and when you put it back to the middle position it stays on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Correct. Steady light not blinking. When I use the left nothing happens. Once in a while the left will blink for a second and then nothing. I tried turning on the hazards not thing happens. When I got home I looked and the right rear blinker orange light is on and the orange light about the headlight is on. I didn't notice but a neighbor pointed out to me that even with the engine off the light were still on. I unscrewed a connector to the battery so it would go dead.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

I think you may have a failure of the flasher relay. The flasher relay uses a bi metalic contact that heats up instantly and bends causing the circuit to open. A second later it cools and bends back the other way causing the light to come back on. Sometimes the contact just gets stuck on and this happens. I'd get a new flasher relay and replace the old one with it first. That should fix this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this something I could replace myself or should I get the mechanic to do it. I am fairly handy with tools
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.
I think you can change a flasher relay. It's in the corner in the driver's underhood fusebox. Should be a label on the fusebox cover to help you locate it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 5 years ago.
No problem. Let me know if you still need more help later.