Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

2005 honda accord hybrid: needs replacement..Bank 1 Sensor..diagram

I have been told the AF senso is bad and the Cat needs replacement. Bank 1 Sensor 1 do you have a diagram for a 2005 honda accord hybrid? I think the sensor the are talking about is just in front of the basket weave looking thing and the cat is just aft of the basket . is this correct?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 2 years ago.

Rmldaytona :

Hello. Thank you for using Just Answer. I'm Robert and will give my best effort in answering your question. Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the sensor in the rear of the engine installed at the top of the converter. Bank 1 is the rear side of the engine (firewall side) and bank 2 is the front side of the engine (radiator side). Sensors 1 are before the converters speaking as the exhaust flows out of the engine into the exhaust system... Sensors 1 will be first then after the converters are sensors 2. A diagram is just below.

Full Size Image

Rmldaytona :

Experts do not have funds added to their accounts until the answer has been accepted by the customer. If you have found my answer helpful I ask that you ACCEPT so I may be compensated. If you need further assistance, I encourage you to ask and I will make every effort to assist you until you are satisfied. I make every effort to ensure high quality and accuracy of my answers.

Customer:

Can you give me a closer idea where I can find Bank 1 Sensor 1 and I assume the cat is the unit just aft of the honey comb basket looking think?

Rmldaytona :

This vehicle actually has 3 cats. Honda calls the converters "WU-TWC". There is one front one, one rear one and one past the flex pipe (the basket looking thing). Are these images more helpful?

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Rmldaytona :

The first 2 converters are generally considered "warm up converters" and the one after the flex pipe is called the post converter.

Customer:

yes, las question when honda says Bank 1 Sensor 1 is bad along with the Cat, would they be talking about the cat that sensor one is mounted to?

Rmldaytona :

I can't say what Honda is speaking of. However what I can tell you is that you CAN'T diagnose a converter as faulty with a malfunctioning A/F sensor. The engine computer uses the A/F sensors not only for fuel delivery calculations but also to monitor the effeciency of the converters. So, how can you test a converter with a faulty A/F sensor???

Rmldaytona :

What is the mileage on this Honda?

Customer:

117,000

Customer:

They said they needed to replace AF sensor and Cat because of P0420 and P2686

Customer:

Maybe I should start with a replaced AF and see if the Engine light goes off.

Rmldaytona :

You have to replace the AF sensor before you can diagnose the converter as faulty.

Customer:

Will do. Thank you

Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.