Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years

Honda Pilot LX: VTM-4 light is on despite a reset

Customer Question

VTM-4 light on. Vehicle runs great followed manual recomendation to reset stayed off for about 5 sec and came back on. Tried several times same result. Any recomendations. Neice bought less than 30 days ago and no warrenty.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

When the light comes on it is telling you there is a problem in the system. Without knowing what code is setting this is tough to answer. Regular engine scanners can not get into the VTM-4 system. What year is the Pilot?

Customer :
2003. I will inspect all of the Trans connections ans see if I find anything loose. Is there any test I can do to verify the operation of the sensors and switches

Steve :
I do know there is a temperature sensor in the rear differential. This could be the problem but I can not be sure unless I have the code that is setting off the light.
Steve :

I am not seeing any test for the sensor. I would think you could check it with an ohm meter but I have no specs. for it.