Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Honda Civic: 01 honda civic wont rev past 3500 rpm and cuts

Customer Question

01 honda civic wont rev past 3500 rpm and cuts out
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. This usually means you have a clogged catalytic converter..Remove front oxygen sensor to see if it helps if so replace converter. You can also install a pressure guage to verify pressure does not go over a few psi while reving engine if so replace converter...If good verify air filter is not clogged, good fuel pressure, if all is good replace crank sensor..But converter is problem 90% of time. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Dan i failed to mention that it is speratic,and only acts up once in a while.the check engine light comes on and shows a code for map sensor high.the engine then doesnt idle well.if it still sounds like a cat wouldnt i get an 02 sensor code also?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
So check engine light comes on with map sensor code every time this problems? What is the code number? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey Dan i failed to mention that it is speratic,and only acts up once in a while.the check engine light comes on and shows a code for map sensor high.the engine then doesnt idle well.if it still sounds like a cat wouldnt i get an 02 sensor code also? The code is p 1129
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

If it was cat you wouldnt be getting o2 code but also problem woouldnt be intermittent..It wouldnt ever rev above 3500...So sometimes it does rev fine? And code sets when problem happens?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes code sets when problem happens, runs great untill it acts up.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
How often does this happen and how often does it run good for how long? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Somtimes 50 miles or so,somtimes shorter distances
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Moniter voltages going to sensor during problem....Also wiggle wiring, it sounds like a intermittent wiring problem..you can also moniter vacuum going to sensor during problem to make sure it doesnt drop..