Andrew
Andrew, Honda Technician
Experience:  12 year Master Tech and ASE Certified.

Honda crv: rear seats will not tilt or move how do i release

Customer Question

rear seats will not tilt or move how do i release the catch
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.

slonneman95 :

Hello let me help you with any of your Honda problems.

Andrew, Honda Technician
Experience: 12 year Master Tech and ASE Certified.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you have not given me an answer
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
Ok so when you pull the release handle on the top of the seat neither seat will move?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the single seat will move back and forward but will not tilt, the double seat will not move at all.
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.

So the single seat will fold up but will not release to tilt to the front and then the other seat will not do either? Just want to make sure. Do you want the repair procedures for each? You may have a cable that has come loose or possible release lever that is not properly releasing the latches.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
both seats fold down but will not tilt the double will not move back or forth or tilt and the single will not tilt
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.

Click Here

That is the cable for the seat to tilt which you should not need but just in case there it is for you.

Click Here for pg1 of seat removal

Click Here for pg2 of seat removal

That is the procedure on how to remove the seats. Now on pg 2 step 3 it shows you how to insert a flat tip screwdriver into the release latch to release it. This is how you are going to have to release the seat. Once you get it released you need to study the seat tracks and see if anything is stuck that is preventing the one from sliding back and forth. You will then need to study the cable from the strap to the release latch and see if something has come loose or is in a bind.

Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
One other thing in step 3 picture B is where the cable attaches to the release latch. You need to make sure it is still attached and that it moves when pulling the straps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the diagram you sent were very vague and not much use for my question
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
not sufficient info and the diagrams very poor
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
I apologize about the diagrams and you are correct.....they are vague but all that we as technicians have to work with too! Let me see if I can help you understand a little better and if needed I will attempt to take some pictures of another CR-V to help you with your problem. So since both seats fold down we should be good as far as those mechanisms......Since neither will tilt forward when pulling the strap on the rear we have a cable that is either disconnected or something that is binding. What you need to do is pull the strap that will release the seats when they are operating normally and look under the seat where they latch to the floor and see if the cable is moving the release lever. If not then we will need to disassemble the seat to gain access to the strap and see if the cable has come dislodged from that area. Please let me know how else I can help because I want you to get all the info you need. Thank You.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no room under the seat to see if the cable is attached, when i pull the strap it is obvious that it is not attached, both are the same but this does not explain why the double seat will not move back or forward it is not running on the tracks properly. what next?
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
The procedure that I listed for seat removal will allow you to gain access to the bottom of the seat so you can inspect these components. Remove the bolts on each seat bracket as illustrated in step 2 on pg1. Be careful as these are spring loaded and will possibly pop back at you. When you get both of those bolts removed you should be able to tilt the seat to the rear of the vehicle so you can inspect the components in question. As far as the seat not moving back and forth the pull bar that you grab to adjust the seat is not releasing for some reason or something is stuck in the track preventing the seat from moving. I know this is stating the obvious but when the seats are tilted to the rear you should be able to inspect the pull bar and see if it is not releasing or something is stuck in the tracks. We can then proceed from there.
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CR-V&catcgry2=2002&catcgry3=5DR+EX+%284WD%29&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=REAR+SEAT+COMPONENTS

This also is not a great picture but is a blow up of all parts involved with the rear seats. I am just trying to give you as much info as possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the site will not down load?
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.

Try this link

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S9A01&block_02=B__4110&block_03=18178

I think that your internet will only load certain sites. Let me know if this works.....if not I will find another way.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
great picture but it does not tell me how to get into it. the seat will not tilt so can't get to parts any suggestions?
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to remove the bolts on the front side of the seat like I suggested. That will be the only way for you to gain access to the bottom side of the seat to see what is keeping the release latch from disengaging.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have undone the bolts at the front of the seat and the seat does not move, is this supposed to allow the seat to tip it does not move, the catches are obviously holding it in place or are the supposed to tip up there must be a bolt somewhere else, other than the front 2.

Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
Do your seats have the same design as the links I am sending you? You should be able to fold the seat back down and then tilt the seats to the rear when the bolts are loosened. Let me do some more checking but that should be it.
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
You are correct.....there are two more bolts that hold that front bracket in place which are located on the back side of the bracket. I am going to post a service bulletin for you to show the location of the bolts......they will be tough to get to without being able to tilt the seat forward.
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
Click Here for the bulletin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the bolts referred to are impossible to access without being able tilt the seat , what next?
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
Let me try and take some pictures of a CR-V today at work so we can figure out a way. The next step may be to unzip the rear cover to try and gain access to the cable and see if it can be released somehow. I will get something for you today and post it. This isn't impossible and we will find a way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will wait for pictures.
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.

Ok so today I did a little trial and error on a CR-V trying to put myself in your position and you are correct. There is no way to get to the back bolts. I then tried to look from the cargo area forward under the seat and was also unable to find anything helpful. One thing that I did notice that may help on your seat that will move backwards.......make sure it is all the way to the rear before trying to release. If it is not in the rear most position it will not release. Here are some pics for you.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

In picture 1 that is a view from the front of the seat. You can see the rear section where it latches to the floor in the background. That rod is what controls the release for the seat. There will be one on each side and if you can access it from under the seat using a long screwdriver or long rod and push that lever to the back of the car on each side you should be able to release the seat. Once you get the seats to tilt then we can proceed with all the disassembly. This is the only way that I see being able to get the seats to tilt in the current situation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked the photos, all my fittings are covered and can't be accessed, the double seat that can't be moved is the main concern it is obviously not alined but will try to fix by wriggling any other suggestions, the last try as car goes away for 6weeks. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Andrew replied 2 years ago.
I think I have exhausted all my ideas if you are unable to access the release rods from under the seat......if I were there with you I think I could be of more help. I guess if you are unable to see those from under the seat your next option would be to start by pulling the seat adjustment pull bar up while sitting in the seat and try to shake it loose to get it to the rear most position.