Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

2004 Honda Odyssey. Driver side power window problem

Customer Question

I am working on a 2004 Honda Odyssey. Driver side power window does not work up or down. Owner told me it had a bad window regulator and would i do the install, so i ordered the part and installed new regulator and motor. This did not fix it and the old one did not look bad so i tested it and it worked fine. All buttons on the switch panel work accept the driver switch. When you push the driver switch ( up or down) the power window control unit clicks. I tested voltage going to the motor at the 2 wire plug and when the button is pushed i get 12.2 volts to the motor. There is also a 4 wire plug going to the motor, I don't know what this plug does. I tested the new motor by unplugging the the two wire plug and touched a 12 volt lead and it worked fine up and down. So the switch seems to work because the control unit click and is sending voltage to the motor. I am guessing the control unit or an amperage drop ( I have not tested the amps). I don"t know if they are connected but the automatic sliding door only works half the time on that same side. Help is greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.

Is the problem with the driver's side window on the sliding door or the driver's front door?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI. The main problem is the Driver,s front door window. The sliding door does not have a opening window. At the end of my question, I was talking about the automatic door sliding open.
THANKS.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a meter to test with?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, It will test all but amps.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
You need a meter that can read volts mostly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i have that.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
You stated earlier you replaced the regulator and motor correct? Was that a motor and regulator from Honda or after market?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was an aftermarket..
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay I think I know what the problem is. You need to reset the window control unit after replacement of the regulator.

Here's the instructions for doing that. Once you follow the instructions and reset the control unit you should have it working again.

Resetting the Power Window Control Unit

'03-04 models

Resetting the power window control unit is required after performing the following procedures

• Disconnecting the battery.

• Removing the No. 79 (20A) fuse in the under-hood subfuse box.

• Disconnecting the 18P connector from the power window control unit.

• Removing the window regulator, glass or glass run channel.

• Disconnecting the driver's door wire harness.

1. Turn the ignition switch off, then back ON (II).

2. Move the driver's window all the way down by holding the driver's switch to the AUTO DOWN position; when the window reaches the bottom, hold the driver's window switch in the AUTO DOWN position for 2 seconds.

3. Move the driver's window all the way up without stopping by holding the driver's switch to the AUTO UP position; when the window reaches the top, hold the driver's window switch in the AUTO UP position for 2 seconds.

If the window does not work in AUTO, reset the power window control unit according to the above procedures again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI. This procedure is to reset the auto up and down. The problem is the window will not move at all when the button is pushed so i cannot do this procedure because the window has to move to do this procedure. The only way i can get the window to move is to take the door panel off and unplug the motor and hook battery directly to the motor. As i said in my original question, when the button is pushed and i have a meter hooked to the wires going to the motor, i gets 12 volts to the motor. this tells me the switch is working. but when i plug the wires back up to the motor, the motor and the window will not move.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried it yet? I believe when you remove the fuse it causes the control unit to reset and if the new motor is good it should work just fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I Did Disconnect the 18P connector from the power window control unit and tried to reset. I will remove the fuse also and see if it will work.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
okay let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it took so long to get back on this car. I tried removing the fuse and it did not work. and then tried disconnecting the battery this also did not work.