Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

1998 honda civic malfunction indicator lamp lights up

Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.

Is it on solid or flashing while driving?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is lit Solid while driving

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay if it's on solid you have a problem which requires attention and you can continue to drive the vehicle until you can get it looked at. If it ever flashes while driving don't continue to drive it.
You'll need to get the computer scanned to find out what's wrong. Most auto parts stores will do this for you OR rent you the scanner to scan it yourself.
If you reply here with the code I can help you further to figure out what the problem is.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when you say Flashes, do you mean like the light goes on & off (Blinking) while driving and this means I need to take it in to be checked /repaired by a auto repair shop?

or if it is a solid light, it is ok to Drive the vehicle until I cn get it looked at?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Helo,

I just purchased a actron OBDII PocketScan and the Only Code that appeared is P0135.

I continued to press the READ Button and got the following reads with a Top & Bottom Arrow displayed to the right:

1.) MIL ON

2.) MONITORS ON

3.) 0 INC

4.) 7 READY

5.) MISFIRE

6.) FUEL

7.) COMP

8.) CATLIST

9.) EVAP

10.) 02 SNSR

11 02 HTR THIS HAD ONLY THE TOP ARROW DISPLAYED.

I also purchased a PVC Valve, but I could not locate where it is mounted/located on the engine. Could you provide that information?

Thank you,

Jesse

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jesse,

That code is for the primary heated O2 sensor heater malfunction. In order to get the O2 sensor working faster to reduce cold start emissions the O2 sensors on newer Hondas have an internal heater inside. It's similar to a toaster coil. It warms up the O2 sensor faster basically because it only works when it's hot.
So this is a really easy fix. You replace the O2 sensor and the problem should go away. The primary is the one in the front or the first one. You don't have to get a Honda OEM O2 sensor (although I recommend it) but you can get a cheaper Denso brand direct fit O2 sensor. Don't get a Bosch or an O2 that you have to cut the wires and butt connect them back up. Those will not work well on a Honda and will set codes. Hondas have very precise fuel control direct fit Denso is about the only thing I will use besides OEM Honda replacement O2's. Denso is the OEM supplier originally so it's the closest thing to OEM.

Hope that helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kyle,

I really appreciate your response, But I am not familair with an O2 sensor, what it look like or where it is located on the vehicle. Could you please provide this information, and last but not least, Is it OK to drive the car until I replace this componet? and hopefully this will be my last response.

Thank you and I really appreciate your assistance.

Jesse

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jesse,

In order to tell you exactly where it is you need to tell me the engine number on the block (which is on the front to the left of the exhaust manifold) and if it's a manual or automatic transmission. They made about 5 different version Civic's in 98.
To answer your second question it's okay to drive it until you can get around to replacing it. It's not going to get worse or cause an issue that will damage anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Kyle,

I apoligize for not getting back to you yesterday, but I had to go out of town and was not able to answer your question.

My car has an Automatic transmission.

I found 2 numbers in front of the engine block (Not sure which one is the Engine Number).

The 1st is JHMEY6673WS0076689 (Green Tag attached to engine)

The 2nd is HM D16Y7(NNN) NNN-NNNNengraved on the engine block.

Thank you for all your help.

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

The engine is a D16Y7 so the O2 sensor is right on the front of the engine under the exhaust shield. Here's the page from the manual for your engine,

graphic
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience: Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech