Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

2011 Honda Pilot: my navigation system..same codes

Customer Question

Changed the battery of my 2011 Honda Pilot and now my navigation system is requesting an access code (4 digits). I got two stickers with the same codes but none matches the requested one:

code: 12411
serial: 16106657

What should I do?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 3 years ago.
Are you the original owner?

The code is 4 digit, the numbers you have posted are the radio code and radio serial number. Neither will help you with the Navi system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I am the original owner
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 3 years ago.
Okay you can call the selling dealer's service dept. and ask for the Navi code if you are the original owner. Just explain you changed the battery and you have the radio code already just not the Navi code. They should be able to give it to you right over the phone without a problem. Every dealer I have worked for saves the radio/navi codes on the first invoice (PDI) before it's sold. Anyone in service can quickly look up that info on their screen by your name since you're the original owner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate your prompt response, but to be honest with you, I was hoping you could help me providing the code. Before I tried this website I called my dealership, but they would not provide any information over the phone so since I am out of town, I wanted to see if I could solve this issue before starting my drive back home. I was willing to pay the $29 for the 4 digit code, but not for the suggestion of calling my dealership.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again,

It's no problem I understand your position. I can't provide codes at all because I can't verify anyone as the owner of the vehicle. Normally a dealer will provide the info over the phone to a customer and original owner. I'm not sure why they are giving you a hard time. I would call back and ask to speak with a service manager and tell him/her you are a customer/original owner of the vehicle and you are out of town stuck without a Navi system which you need to use to get back. Explain you had an issue with the battery and you need the code. The code is useless to anyone except you anyway it's not like you are giving them a serial number and requesting a code from it. The code is in your PDI repair order files and only works on your Pilot. They shouldn't have a problem providing this.
You don't have to "accept" my answer if you don't want to but please let me know if you decide to call back and talk with the service manager. I think you'll find if you're nice and explain to him/her what's going on you can get the code from them.
Most likely the first time you tried you talked to someone who isn't in a position to break the house rules.