Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Honda Civic: Honda Civic 2001 Engine light on. Code P0420 Posible

Customer Question

Honda Civic 2001
Engine light on. Code P0420

Posible problems
aa1: A/F ratio concern
aa2: Air leak ner HO2S (Heated oxygen sensor) bank 1
aa3: Ignition system concern
aa4: Faulty catalitic converter

What I Need is cost analasys for each of this 4 posibilities.
1. Cost of parts and Cost of labor per Hrs total amount of hours to fix issue = Total cost to fix issue.

Example:

cost of XYZ part is 79.40 it will take 1 1/2 hrs OR Labour and the going rate is 75 dollars per hour
Total cost is 192 dollars

thank you
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

the first thing to do here is to check for leaks in the exhaust system....

tims auto repair :

you may just have a cracked or rusted pipe

tims auto repair :

if not

tims auto repair :

i would think you have a bad twc[two way catalist]converter

Customer :

Can you give me an aswer to the computer code aa1-aa4

tims auto repair :

and it may need to be replaced

tims auto repair :

just a second

tims auto repair :

Please ACCEPT my answer by clicking the accept button, so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.please understand,i can not see,hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so...sometimes you may need to right click the image,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :
2001 Honda Civic DX Sedan L4-1668cc 1.7L SOHC MFI
Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection, Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures: P Code Charts, P0420
DTC P0420: Catalytic System Efficiency Below Threshold

NOTE: If some of the DTCs listed below are stored at the same time as DTC P0420, troubleshoot those DTCs first, then recheck for DTC P0420.

P0137, P0138: Secondary Heated Oxygen Sensor (secondary HO2S) (Sensor 2)
P0141: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) heater

1. Reset the ECM/PCM, then continue to step 2 through 5 to reset the readiness code.
2. Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on.
3. Drive for about 10 minutes without stopping on a highway or freeway. Your speed can vary.
4. With the A/T, CVT in the D position, M/T in 5th gear, drive at a steady speed between 50 - 62 mph (80 - 100 km/h) for 30 seconds.
5. Repeat step 4 three times. Between each repetition, close the throttle completely for 1 - 2 seconds. If the engine is stopped during this part of the procedure, repeat step 3 and 4, 5.
6. Check for a Temporary DTC with the scan tool.

Does the scan tool indicate Temporary DTC P0420?

YES - Check the TWC. If necessary, replace the TWC.

NO - Check for readiness code completion. If the readiness is complete, it was a intermittent failure, and system is OK at this time. If the readiness code is incomplete, repeat steps 2 through 5.
tims auto repair :
Catalytic Converter Description and Operation, Components
Catalytic Converter System

91_hn0103civic_sm_11-036a.png
Full Size Image

NOX Adsorptive Three Way Catalyst (NOX Adsorptive TWC) (D17A6 engine)
The NOx adsorptive TWC absorbs NOx created during lean burn running when the oxygen concentration is high. Then the engine is put into a richer running mode where the oxygen concentration and NOx levels are low, and the absorbed NOx is released, keeping the average NOx emissions low.

10_hn0103civic_sm_11-036b.png
Full Size Image

64_hn0103civic_sm_11-036c.png
Full Size Image

Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC)
The TWC converts hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in the exhaust gas to carbon dioxide (CO2), dinitrogen (N2), and water vapor.
tims auto repair :

i would think the exhaust pipe or the catalist is causing all the aa codes also

Customer :

Tim I am not a Mechanic. I need an economical cost analysys:

tims auto repair :

ok

Customer :

there a 4 posible problems:

tims auto repair :

not really

tims auto repair :

i think 2

tims auto repair :

either a bad pipe or catalist

tims auto repair :

you need to check the pipe first,,,,it would be good if it is damaged

tims auto repair :

this is the cheapest fix

tims auto repair :

if it is the converter

tims auto repair :

it only takes around 1/2kour to replace,,,but

Customer :

Ok 2 Problems. I am not the one going to do the work:

tims auto repair :

the converter is high

Customer :

I just need a cost analysys so the mechanic does not take advantage.

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

this is what im getting to

tims auto repair :

and you may want to sit down

tims auto repair :

if it is the pipe....you may get by with around $200+/-

tims auto repair :

if it is the converter....you are looking at around $60+/- labor

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

the converter will cost around $1200+/-

tims auto repair :

you can by an aftermarket for around $600+/-..but,,sometimes these dont work

tims auto repair :
Catalytic Converter System

91_hn0103civic_sm_11-036a.png
Full Size Image

10_hn0103civic_sm_11-036b.png
Full Size Image

64_hn0103civic_sm_11-036c.png
Full Size Image

Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC)
tims auto repair :
Catalytic Converter Parts and Labor
Parts Information OEM Part # Price
Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter
With VTEC
Auto Trans
18160PLRA00 $1148.33
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Replace
B 0.5 1.0
tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

are you there?