Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Honda Odyssey EX: 2009 Odyssey, Flashing "D" check engine light

Customer Question

2009 Odyssey, Flashing "D" check engine light on, VSA light on, no automatic transmission shift...what's happening?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

The computer has detected a malfunction with the transmission control systems. If it was emission related, it would have turned the check engine light on. You will need to get your computer scanned for codes and have this checked out by either a Honda dealership or a transmission shop unless you want to try and pull codes yourself.
The VSA light is on because of the same reason.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I brought it to a repair shop and they say it is a bad altenator, but I do not believe and altenator would cause shifting problems
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
This does happen from time to time. IF the alternator was over or under charging, then it could be possible. Just get a voltmeter and put it on the battery with the engine at idle. IT should read close to 14.0 volts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. It was hard for me to believe it was the alternator so I took it to a Honda dealer. They discovered the main wiring harness in the engine compartment was chewed away by rodents. I had it replaced - ok now
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
YUP! That will do it!

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE