Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics

My Honda civic 2004 lx coupe has an air bag light on Resetting

Customer Question

My Honda civic 2004 lx coupe has an air bag light on

Resetting it does not make it go away

After completing the reset procedure the light blinks fast twice and comes on and stay on

When a diagnostic code is red I get one long blink and one short blink

Then the air bag on blinks very fast 3 to 4 times then repeats it 3 to 4 times and then one long blink followed by a short one. And so it goes

What does this code mean

Thanks
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

The code 1-1 is "Open in Driver's Airbag Inflator". There are a couple of things that can set this code, and to test which item is at fault, you will need access to a couple of special tools:
  • SRS inflator simulator
  • SRS simulator lead

The items that can be at fault are Faulty SRS unit or poor contact at SRS unit connector A and the SRS unit, open or increased resistance in dashboard wire harness B or the cable reel, or even the driver's air bag itself.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In other words it a job for a dealer

Can this be done
By a autoshop
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Not nessacarily a Dealer, but definitely a reputable shop that has access to the special tools, and a little prior experience with the Air Bag system. There is a fairly straight forward flow chart to correctly diagnose this, so if the shop has access to these tools, they more than likely have access to the diagnostic flow chart. It's like a 20min test from there to determine the actual fail item.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this troubleshooting a job for a dealer or can be a mechanic shop

SRS is strictly a seat belt or is it in general all safety features seat belt plus airbag ?

The seat belt light goes off when I fasten the seatbelt

Are any of these parts warranties by Honda?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Not nessacarily a Dealer, but definitely a reputable shop that has access to the special tools, and a little prior experience with the Air Bag system.

SRS is for the infatable restraint system which can include a problem in the seatbelts.

The seatbelt light is supposed to go off when you fasten the seat belt.

Depending on what type of warranty you have, it "may" be covered. But there are no recalls or Service Bulletins on this issue at this time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What are the possible costs for parts and labor

I was quoted a 100 bucks by a dealer to diagnose it
The cost would go towards a repair if the problem is diagnosed

A local mechanic quoted 1 and a half hour to do so

What are the possible costs involved ( a range) excluding the air bag itself
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
It's hard to give a price without knowing "for sure" what the problem is. It's just speculation. However, to give you a "general" idea- if it's the SRS Unit, depending what version of the Civic you have, anywhere from $250 - $400 for parts with about an hour's labor. If it's the wire harness, a few hundred with about an hours labor. As for the diagnostic fee- this varies from shop to shop, and the Dealer will always charge more for diagnostics, parts and labor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anything I can do before I give it to the shop like Unplugging and plugging the connectors back in (if it's a resistance issue).
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
You can disconnect the "NEG" cable from the battery and 2 minutes. I fthe code remains, there is a problem. If there is a "resistance" issue, this will be in the harness itself and is not repairable, it will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Glad I could help! HAve a great day!
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 2004 civic coupe. The air bag light is on and I need a wheel alignment.

In ref to air bag dealer told me I need to replace my seatbelt tensioner because it not good ...does not recoil
Right. The technician also told me that a wire to the seatbelt bulk was somewhat nicked

The code I was able to read was 11
My question is. Will replacing the set belt and seat belt tensioner fix the problem
I got impression dealer was not absolutely positive about it and I don't want to change and find out it was not it or not enough. The wire nicked I agree can cause the problem but it look like the technician
Taped it so it must have connected it right. Do I need to replace the harness and what part of it

In ref to tie rod. The technician could not get the tie rod loose so they need to heat it and try to loosen it up this way but in this process the tie rod needs to be replaced

Each job is close to 500 so all together 1g.. How much is the outer tie rod job and wheel alignment in non dealer auto shops
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Off line
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 2 years ago.
Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try to realist my question. Got confused
Ok