HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

Accord: 000 miles..a whining or dry bearing sound..power steering pump

With 40,000 miles my 08 Accord slowly developed a whining or dry bearing sound upon acceleration. Honda dealer replaced O ring in power steering, but problem persisted. Dealer replaced power steering pump and problem was worse, even as I left the dealer. A few weeks later the noise was very loud and the power steering pump was replaced again. Problem seemed to be solved for a two or three thousand miles. Problem returned and O ring was replaced again and noise was less but is returning within a few hundred miles. Was told by dealer that "power steering pumps just make noise." I have driven Honda for thirty years and never had this kind of problem. I want to add that as the time goes by the noise level between trips back to the dealer goes from what I first thought was a slipping belt to a howl that can be heard even at highway speed. I am on my third power steering pump (counting the original) and twice the O ring has been replaced.
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 4 years ago.
Problem is the power steering pump high pressure hose is bad and is burning out the pumps . Was this replaced?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To my knowledge the hose was not replaced.
The problem is the high pressure power steering hose has an orifice tube in the hose. What happens is this valve sticks open allowing to much pressure to the pump causing the pump noise then eventually pump failure. Have even seen this damage power steering racks internally. These need to be checked next. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.