Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
652461

Honda Odessey 2007 odyssey has common window problem.....drivers

Customer Question

2007 odyssey has common window problem.....driver's window operates fine but passenger and rear windows only click when button on driver's door is depressed. Checked fuses and they are fine. Any suggestions???
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.

Do you have the main lock out switch turned on at the driver's master control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lock out switch has no effect either way
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
So just to be clear the driver's switch won't move any windows but the driver's window?

Will the buttons on each door move the windows at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, no buttons on any doors operate any windows except the driver's window from the driver's door
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay good that helps me pin it down a little better.

Let's try reseting the van completely and see if that fixes the issue. I don't want to recommend parts replacement for a control unit issue. Sometimes the control unit just loses it's memory. Pop the hood and remove the negative then the positive battery cable and touch them together. This will clear everything on the van back to new factory setting. What you are doing is discharging the capacitors inside the control units. You have to hold the battery cables together for a couple minutes, I usually use a jumper wire. As long as they are not attached to the battery you won't hurt anything. Once you have done the reset attach the positive then negative cables back on the battery and turn on the van. Let it run 10 mins. without the A/C on and don't touch the gas pedal just let it idle so it can let it's idle speed.
Try the windows after this. If it was a control unit fluke they should work again. (hopefully this is it)
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience: Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the battery cable disconnect did not work
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay,
Most likely the switch or the driver's door multiplex is faulty. You'll need to test them to be sure though. Do you have a meter ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay,

It's going to be hard to diagnose without a way to check those parts above. Let me see if I can find a self diagnostic option. Give me a little time to look it up.

Also could you retract your feedback until we are done? A negative on my feedback is very bad for my rating. I'm willing to help you figure it out just give me a chance. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Several forums suggest that the multiplex can get wet and short out ....will see if it is wet under there
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Has it been wet inside the van?

Most of the time when I see this it's got a bad seal on the inside door panel or if you open the door you'll see a rubber seal for the wiring and that's ripped or off the door. It's like a grommet. Pull out the gromment a little and check for water there.

Please consider changing your feedback, it really damages my rating. I always start with the easy stuff first (computer reset) and move on from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is dry
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.

Try this and tell me what happens,

Key Cylinder Operation

With the key inserted in the driver's door key cylinder, turn the key in either direction and release it, turn it a second time and hold it within 10 seconds to operate the windows (clockwise to open, counterclockwise to close). The windows stop moving when the key is released. The auto reverse operation is not active when closing the windows with the key cylinder. The key cylinder switch will not activate until the key is removed from the ignition and the driver's door is opened. Opening the driver's door cancels the key off timer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only the driver's window operates...I already tried this
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay I'm just trying to see if it will operate everything or not. It's critical to seeing what the control unit is doing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What next?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.

Try this too,

Keyless Operation

By pressing the UNLOCK button of the keyless transmitter a second time and hold within 10 seconds, the windows open. The windows stop moving when the UNLOCK button is released. The windows do not close with the LOCK button. The keyless window operation with the remotes will not work until the key has been removed from the ignition, and the driver's door has been opened. This cancels the key off timer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The window opens partially then stops....the same thing happens with the double key thing...have to repete process to open and close completely
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay,
I'm looking at the wiring diagram and operation sheet now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 2 years ago.
Okay I think the problem is most likely the Driver's master switch on the door. On your van the multiplex for the door is integrated into the switch. The problem could be that main button stuck in the on position or it could be that the door multiplex isn't sending voltage to the other doors.

You would have to test further to be able to tell with a meter but most likely that's the problem based on the info I have and the wiring diagram.