HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience:  OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA

2004 Honda: door locking mechanism..tail lights

Customer Question

The door locking mechanism on my 2004 Honda CRV just went kaputs. I thought it might be the battery in the remote so changed that but it made no difference. When I click on the remote, the tail lights go off and on but the door locks don't respond. What's going on?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, none of the locks work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

None respond to the remote. I can manually lock/unlock them but not with the remote.
you need to first try reprogramming the remote. Do you know how to do it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope, I don't. How do I reprogram it?

make sure you have all the remote you use together for this, here is the procedure. this should fix the issue:

Storing transmitter codes:

The codes of up to three transmitters can be stored into the keyless receiver unit memory. (If a fourth code is stored, the code that was programmed first will be erased.)

NOTE: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps. Make sure the doors and the tailgate are closed.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

2. Within 1 to 4 seconds, push the transmitter lock or unlock button.

3. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

4. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

5. Within 1 to 4 seconds, push the transmitter lock or unlock button.

6. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

7. Within 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

8. Within 1 to 4 seconds, push the transmitter lock or unlock button.

9. Within 1 to 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.

10. Within 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch ON (II).

11. Within 1 to 4 seconds, push the transmitter lock or unlock button.

12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. Within 1 to 4 seconds, push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.

13. Within 10 seconds, press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons on the two additional transmitters. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.

14. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the key.

15. Confirm proper operation of the transmitters.

HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
Experience: OVER 20 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE WITH 10 YEARS ACURA/ HONDA
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you serious???
yes this is the reprogramming procedure for the remotes. Sometimes for no apparent reason the remotes will lose the signal. they have to be reprogrammed to work properly again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please send instructions for reprogramming again so that I can print them out.
you cant see them in the thread above?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I followed the steps you gave me and now all locks respond to the remote EXCEPT the front driver's side does not (I have to unlock it manually, with the key) and I don't get the horn honk sound in response after I hit the remote twice.
ok now the lock actuator is faulty in the driver's door, you will have to replace that, once the system is working properly the horn will beep when locking