Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2003 Honda Accord: rough idle..under load..a Mitsubishi 2.0..shaft

2003 Honda Accord 2.4L i-VTEC - rough idle IAC replaced, negative numbers on Long and short term fuel, Not missing no codes runs even but really shakes when under load (A/C, P/S, Idle in gear). Customer had all the motor mounts replaced before he came to me. Only time I have seen a problem like this before on a Mitsubishi 2.0 when counter balance shaft out of time. Not ready to jump into this thing unless I have a better idea what the problem is.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
is this an automatic?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, when in gear or A/C turned on at idle steering wheel and dash shakes idle At 750-900
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
ok it is possible that the torque convertor is unbalanced and locking up.
If you have the vehicle there go ahead and startit up have your foot on the brake put it into drive and then put it into neutral. Notice if the vibration goes away, also check in park too. If the vibration goes away it is the torque convertor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Shake also happens when load (non transmission) (in Park or N) on engine, P/S or A/C load just makes the shake very noticable. Can smooth the engine out quite a bit by causing an air leak by pulling vacuum hose and using thumb or patial blockage to meter the leak. But even then when load applied it vibrates badly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When in Park or N engine still vibrates, pulled vacuum hose and metered air leak and engine seemed to smooth out quite a bit, but as soon as load applied shake comes back load being P/S or A/C doesn't seem to have power loss driving.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
ok you you need to check the hamanic balancer and all the pulleys, this will also do all things you are talking about. Exam the crank shaft pully for and chips or look where the rubber is in the middle if it is a 2 piece, it starts to seperate and causes it to wobble and shake the engine real bad.