HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2006 Honda: rough idling and got an engine light..Scanner..actuator

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey with a 3.5i VTEC engine. It started rough idling and got an engine light. Scanner gives a P2647 a rocker arm actuator system stuck on bank 1. 8 other codes as well, P0301-P0306, cylinder misfire for each cylinder (6), P0300, random/ multiple cylinder misfire detected, and P0171 system too lean bank 1... but I'm assuming those will go away once the main problem is addressed- the P2647. From what I understand, the problem probably lies within the VTEC pressure switch or the VTEC solenoid- the question I have is how do I determine which component has gone bad- or should I just replace them both?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 5 years ago.
You need to replace both. These are known to fail in pairs. Once these are replaced make sure the oil level is correct and disconnect the battery to clear the codes or use a scanner if you have one and you should be fine. This should tale care of all your codes. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just want to make sure before I go and start buying parts... I failed to mention that this engine is also equipped with VCM... could that have anything to do with this problem? I was told that the VTEC pressure switch/solenoid is more than twice as much as the engine without VCM... does that sound right?
Still same diagnosis . You. Can get these off eBay or a salvage yard for half the money. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .