George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

HONDA: srs Dash Light is On..Module..somewhere..same thing happened

On My HONDA 1996 Odyssey, the SRS Dash Light is On. There is an SRS "relay" or "Module" somewhere in the car that was replaced in the past when the same thing happened. This solved the problem Can you tell me where these items are located in the 1996 Odyssey?

Are there any other common causes for this SRS Dash Light to come on? ( Haynes does not seem to make a Manual for the "Early" 1996- 1998 Odyssey, however, The 1996 Odyssey seems very Similar to the 1996 4 Cylinder HONDA ACCORD under the hood)
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

There is a central control module (SRS computer) that keeps track of the airbags, seat belts and wiring that can be triggered in the event one of the sensors detects a crash. This module has stored trouble codes that will point to what has failed in the system so the correct part can be repaired or replaced.

It may be the module itself, the wiring or something like the clockspring connector that connects the airbag on the steering wheel to the computer.

Have the stored code read at a shop, the OBD readers at the autoparts stores will not read this or you can try to count the flashes of the warning light when the test connector is jumpered.

If you want to try to pull the code yourself use the procedure below

Click here for procedure

Let me know what you get and I will help you with the repair

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I asked Where the SRS Module is Located in the 1996 Honda Odyssey. ( I can't find the SRS Module Itself !!!!

( Also, do you know if it happens to use the same SRS Module as the 1996 Honda Accord with the 2.2 Liter Motor?)

Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The module location is below, replacing it will not help your problem as I explained above. You cannot use a replacement module from the Accord.

Click here

Have you pulled the trouble code so you can find out what the real problem is?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The code says FAulty SRS Module, According to the Tech that read the code 9-2 in his shop
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I Don't know whee the SRS Module is Located in the car ( UNder Hood ?, Under Dash ?, Under Instrument panel?) Also I don't know its appearance or size, or color, so I need to know what to look for so i can find it .
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

OK, if that is the code you may have to replace the module to clear it, I wanted you to get the code first as there are so many other possibilities.

If you open the picture I posted above of the location you will see the module and the location next to the throttle pedal.

The 9-2 code refers to the power supply to the module so if the battery is disconnected fro an extended period or the wiring to the module is damaged or has a loose connection this code will set. It is NOT always the module that needs to be replaced.

The troubleshooting that HAS to be done prior to replacing the module is below.

Click here for procedure

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
"The click here for procedure" link comes up as " error 404." ( Presume hish link was supposed to show me how to get at, and remove/replace teh SRS module.)
I can't find the "picture" you posted.
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The procedure above is to troubleshoot the 9-2 code as it is not likely to be the module that failed.

Click here and try again

The picture is posted 4 windows above this one where it says "Click Here"

Try that again as well

Click here for picture of module location

Let me know if you get these

Thanks