Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF FAILING TRANSMISSION ON 1998 HONDA ACCORD?

Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. The radiator has a transmission cooler built into it....When radiator was replaced getting transmission flushed wouldnt have been a bad idea...But usually when the transmissions fail on these vehicles the check engine light comes on and it starts slipping or shifting correctly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SLIPPING OR SHIFTING CORRECTLY?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
It will not shift into some gears, it might not move, it might slip "rpm's going up without speed increasing" or the rpm's might go up while its shifting causing a harsh shift. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

WILL IT "jump"? dOES THIS MEAN i NEED A NEW TRANSMISSION?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
A jump would mean its slipping/shifting incorrectly...It doesnt catch gear right away like it should so when it does it makes the jump feeling...These vehicles do have alot of transmission problems but you could try to have it flushed and checked for diagnostic codes before assuming the worst.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WILL DRIVING IT TO THE REPAIR SHOP DAMAGE IT AT ALL?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
It should be ok if its not a extremely long drive. Let me know if you run into questions once shop gives you opinion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ACCEPT - SATISFIED.