Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Honda civic lx need info on timing marks honda civic 1.6

need info on timing marks honda civic 1.6

On the cam gear there should be a couple of scribe marks that line up level with the head.

The diagram below doesnt really show them, but if you look at the front of the gear, right where the teeth are you will see them.

The crank gear is easy enough.

graphic
graphic
graphic

If you have any further questions at all please feel free to reply. If not, Please remember we use an honor system and you must click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Your question does not close or dissapear after you accept so you can always reply right back here if needed for no charge.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok. i was pretty sure i had it but you helped me confirm, bottom mark was hard to find, it was hidden behind the belt. im pretty sure i got it. thanks a lot and i'll let ya know how it turns out. these arent interference engines are they?

Sure is!

Any further questions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i better be extra careful and double sure then huh. im sure i got it. marks are lined up and as long as i dont move anything i should be alright

yes, it sounds like you are on the right path here. I wouldn't worry about it too much, its more for hight rpms anyway..

Take care now.

LJ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will and thanks again
My pleasure.

Thank YOU for asking!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hey, any chance you could tell me what type of and how much fluid on this same car for the manual transmission?
Sure be right back
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
take yer time. im done for the day

Here you are!

graphic

Thanks as always!

LJ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and this is from bone dry? i had tranny out and apart to replace bearing

Use the dry fill if it was empty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and if honda fluid is not availabe?

Did the old fluid look more like auto trans fluid...most did..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it actually looked and smelled like 10w40 motor oil

Ok then, they used to actually use 10w30 in them for quite awhile, and i think right at around this time they switched to Honda type but i have seen a lot of guys just use the 10w30 and add some BG extreme lube to it and it works just fine. Check at your local parts store and if they carry the BG line us it because it is the best. If you buy the Honda type it looks and feels just like engine oil it just has some other properties in it for pressure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds groovy. again thank you. do i need to hit accept again since i already did before?

That would be great!

Thanks again!