Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Honda Odyssey LX The TCS light and engine light came on in

Customer Question

The TCS light and engine light came on in my 2004 Odyssey (95,000 miles) about 2 weeks ago. Car began running rough. We had car towed to my mechanic who replaced an ignition coil which he said was "white hot." He also said that it almost damaged the computer but didn't.

Then, five days ago the same symptoms returned along with the temp gauge going to hot within one mile of starting. Brought it back to the mechanic who said this new mmalfunction was not an ignition problem and not related to the initial repair but rather an engine problem. He checked valve clearfance and found no p[roblem. Then he realized it was a computer problem but by this time there was a melted iginition coil which he is having trouble removing.
It seems to me that in calculating this new bill I should not be charged for the checking of the valve clearance since that was the result of a misdiagnosis. In fact, the second problem was directly related to the first problem which should have been diagnosed better. The ignition coil was the symptom of the computer problem not the cause.
I would like your opinion as to the degree of responsiblity to be assumed by Honda and my mechanic.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

IS the check engine light on or flashing?

Can you get me the code or codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The engine light is flashing.

computer codes are as follows: P0301 P0303 P0305 P0306 P1399

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Does the engine misfire at idle, under a load or all of the time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Idled OK. Seemed to be misfiring under a load.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.

Ok.. it sounds to me like you have a bad EGR valve. Sometimes they stick open causing the engine to misfire and all of these codes.

This would only cause the engine to misfire at idle. If the engine is in fact misfiring under a load, then your EGR ports may be plugged up causing your issue. To fix this, the intake needs to be removed the ports need to be cleaned out.

In addition, if there was any recent engine work done, the EGR gasket can be installed wrong causing this issue.

Also,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been in touch with the mechanic who informs me that he will credit the labor done on the valve clearance to putting in a new cylinder head which he needs to install because he can't get melted ignition coil out of the old one. He says that it will cost me $3,000.00 just to get the car back to the condition it was in was towed in (plus a new timing belt, and check of valve clearance essentially 105,000 mile service). He thinks the problem is the computer which would be at least $1000 more. I assume the EGR valve and ports have nothing to do with the computer. What would you do if you were me?

Get it towed to Honda? What if anything should I pay him? Remember he should have gotten it right 2 weeks ago.

Is there something you forgot to mention? Your last word is "Also,....."

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the typo.. not sure what happened there.

It sounds a bit fishy to me.. but either this was caused by the mechanic, or this problem just so happen to do this right after the mechanic worked on it.

It is your vehicle and your money.. but I would be skeptical. You might want to bring your vehicle to another shop for another opinion.. but the dealership could get expensive.
Amedee, ASE Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I opted to sell the mechanic the car for $4K. Pretty painful but I couldn't be sure the next fix would be a decisive one. The cylinder block was in pieces. Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thanks for the accept!

I think you made a good choice!

Please let me know if you have any further questions!