Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics

Dtc 1457 02 civic. What is it telling me?

dtc 1457 02 civic. What is it telling me?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

The P1457 is pointing to a "leak" in the EVAP (emissions control) System. This is actually a very common problem. Honda has issued a Technical Service Bulletin that states the most common problem associated with this code is the EVAP solenoid valve (fuel vent module) is blocked or restricted, and they have issued a "kit" that contains a new solenoid, that should solve the problem. It located under the vehicle, mounted to the side of the EVAP Canister.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That bulletin also says to do the EVAP Function Test. Do you have any info on that test?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
The EVAP "function test" is done with the use of a scan tool. You command the solenoid on/off using the scan tool. If the solenoid functions, the "tubes" will need to be inspected for blockages, holes or disconnections. If no problems are found, the next best thing is to do an EVAP system "smoke" test.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you describe the smoke test?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
The smoke test is where a machine forces smoke through the evap system (there is a port under the hood) and the "leak" will reveal itself with a stream of smoke.