MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience:  26 YEARS of real world experience .
10834442

Honda CR-V Code p1456 evaporative emission control is this

Customer Question

Code p1456
evaporative emission control is this a big job to fix
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 3 years ago.

master tech :

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you today.

Customer: Hello did u get my question
master tech :

this is a tank side leak could be from a bad fuel cap or a leak in the system so the first step here is to inspect the fuel cap and see if the seal is concave or round

master tech :

yes I seen it

master tech :

how big of a job this is.

master tech :

first we need to see why this code is coming on and what part in the system is causing this

Customer: The check engine light went of after about 10 days a month ago now it stays on
Customer: Out
master tech :

the simple check is something you can do with out a smoke machine.

master tech :

ok and the only code stored is the p1456

Customer: So they tell me at garage
master tech :

ok so lets first check the fuel cap and see what the seal looks like .

Customer: Ok should I go look
master tech :

if this does not look round at all then replace it. normally these will be smashed and look flat

master tech :

yes please

Customer: Ok be right back
master tech :

ok

Customer: I saw a yellow seal in gas cap and it looks ok for 11 years old
Customer: Do u replace that seal or entire gas cap?
Customer: If this is the problem does the check engine light go off on it's own or do I take it in to gargae
master tech :

yes the entire cap'

master tech :

no the light will stay on until it's cleared

master tech :

does the seal look like it's concave or smashed ?

Customer: Neither it looks a little used
master tech :

ok

master tech :

well if this was tight and the seal looks good I would try a new cap or have this tested and if this is good (which I have a feeling it's bad) then the system needs to be tested and this will require a smoke machine and most auto shops have these to test the systems

Customer: My mechanic said all code that start with a 1 in this case 1456 must be fixes a tab Honda only garage
master tech :

well this p1456 is a evap code indication a leak in the system so this could be a bad ftp sensor or a 2 way valve from over filling the tank when the gas pump stops and it's topped off .

master tech :

this is a real common failure we see

Customer: Yes were I go get gas they always top to next dollar and I feel it's going to over flow some times.... So that's a problem?
master tech :

yes im sure that the 2 way valve and the ftp sensor is bad and also may have a bad evap canister from this. so if this is a regular practice then i would feel confident that this is the issue at hand

master tech :

these items are not cheap

master tech :

around 400.00

master tech :

plus about 1.5 hours of labor to replace these items

Customer: Ouch do they need to be replace rightnaway?
Customer: Does thisnhurt any other part of car?
master tech :

it should be yes

master tech :

if your going to get this passed for a inspection it will never pass

Customer: No inspection good till next may
master tech :

not really only the earth from the gas fumes

Customer: 1 last question I never had a tune up on this car I owed since it was new in 2000 I have bout 100000 miles on it right now
MASTER TECH, Tech
Experience: 26 YEARS of real world experience .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
After 100000 miles should I get a tune up?
at the 105 K you will have to get the spark plugs replaced and the timing belt and drive belts and have the cap and rotor checked and replaced if needed
also the valves will need to be adjusted