Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2004 Honda: gas exhaust fumes) in the cabin..leak..fuel system

Customer Question

I have a raw gas smell (doesn't seem to be gas exhaust fumes) in the cabin of my 2004 Honda Odysee. I have been to a mechanic (2 actually) who both say that there is no leak in the fuel system. Any ideas of what this smell is?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

this is most typically due to a fault in the evaporative emissions system(the fuel vapors produced), either a faulty vent canister, restriction in one of the lines or faulty evap canister vent solenoid, all of which allow for the vapors to escape and be smelled inside the cabin.

The evaporative emission system needs to be tested with a smoke machine to find leak in the system
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had a smoke machine test done at both mechanics and they found no leaks in the evap canister and surrounding system. they said they had no idea what it could be
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

sorry, i will need to opt out due to some computer issues right now. someone else will help if they know of anything else to check.