Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years
13523613

2011 honda: Computer on dash telling us loose fuel cap.

Customer Question

2011 honda cr-v. Computer on dash telling us loose fuel cap. Checked, and was secure. Computer continued to tell us cap was loose until we parked and came back 2 hours later and was normal. Is this normal? Cr-v had 150 miles on it. It is a 2011.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Steve :

The computer system in the car keeps track of a lot of things, one of which is the evaporative emissions system. The system runs a self test once in awhile to ensure the gas cap and the rest of the system is secure. If a leak was found in a part of the system that would include the gas cap you get the "check gas cap" message. Let's say the cap was slightly loose causing the message to show up. It will not go away as soon as you tighten the cap. You will not break the cap if you tighten it further than 3 clicks. If there was a fault somewhere else in the system it was only a temporary fault and nothing to be alarmed about. If the message does keep showing up though, you should take it in and have it checked out.

Customer :

I thought it strange, as the car is new. the funny part of it is that we had not put any gas in the car, since it was filled on Wednesday by the dealer. We have put around 100 or so miles on the car.

Steve :

Yes I did notice from the mileage that you had just bought it. The system does not run the self test every time you start the CR-V so if there is a problem it may not show up again right away. If there is a problem though driving it with the message showing will not cause any harm.

Steve :

I wonder if when they filled it for you that they didn't have the cap tight and when you checked it,the extra click made it tight enough.

Customer :

Would it be common for a new cr-v to have an evaporative issue? Yes, it could very well be they didn't tighten the cap enough.

Steve :

No it is not very common at all to have an issue like this when brand new. Nothing is perfect though and I have only seen this before on an Accord a couple years ago.

Customer :

It was a new accord with a loose cap issue?

Steve :

Actually it was a pipe in the evaporative emissions system under the hood that has a bad weld. There was a pin hole in it and was very hard to find.

Customer :

I would think this to be rare. Honda has fairly excellent quality.

Steve :

Yes it is very rare. When Honda sees a problem with a batch of cars they will actually send people out to inspect cars. There has been nothing like this for CR-V's but right now they are checking into steering wheels being off center on 2012 Civics. Seems there is enough of them that they want to find out why.

Customer :

I have been checking into Honda issues, and have also been reading about a few acceleration surges in some of the 2011 cr-v's. Nothing here thankfully as of now.

Steve :

That's good. I have not seen much of that either.

Customer :

Thanks for your time steve. Have a great day.

Steve :

And the same to you.