HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Honda Odyssey LX My A/C started blowing hot air yesterday

My A/C started blowing hot air yesterday - I can hear a change in the noise from when I turn the air conditioner off or on.
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 3 years ago.
Ok has the refrigerant level been checked could be a leak? The blower motor does work correct ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes - sorry I forgot that - I bought a valve thing with refrigerant - followed the instructions - the pressure was between 80-100 so I did NOT add any additional refrigerant. The ambient temperature was 80-90
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Also - the blower motor does work and change speeds properly - just blows hot air (well outside temperature air)
Ok I need low and high side pressures with a/c on? Also does the condenser fan or a/c compressor clutch operate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was pretty consistent at about 90 - didn't see me to move much - can I do something to make it change?

As to the condenser fan - it sounds like the a/c clutch operates because the belt changes; however, I am not sure how to test to see if the condenser fan or compressor clutch is operating - how do I know for sure?
When the a/c is running see if you here a click if so the compressor clutch is operating if not there no power there . Also see if the fan is turning under the hood a/c on. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a click and the sound of something engaging when you turn the a/c on. Both fans near the radiator turn on when the A/C is turned on.
Ok the problem is either a sticking exspansion valve or the system is undercharged and theres a leak. All components are working. This is what needs to be checked next . It need to be hooked up to a professional a/c machine from here they can diagnose if it's a blockage issue or it's low on refrigerant. This is what needs to be done next for proper diagnosis and repair. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm confused - How could it be undercharged when the pressure is so high. Today when I checked it to determine if the clutch and fans were operating the pressure went from about 100 to 110 during my testing. That seems to indicate that it is overcharged - not undercharged.

Is there any relationship between the transistor assembly and the expansion valve?
You are not using gauges on low and high side ports . You need to have professional gauges hooked up a can with a gauge is not accurate . Most likely there is a blockage or stuck expansion valve . These need to be checked next. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Pep Boys - the only place I could find open - says it is the compressor - and showed me it moving and said that it is because the bearings are shot. There was some movement there lateral movement to the rotational movement of the belt but I didn't realize that was the compressor (I saw the movement before I took it to them).

They are claiming I need to replace the compressor, the evaporator, and the condenser - they are quoting $1000 ($1100 with a new compressor - but I'd have to wait until Tuesday to get the part.)

Question - is that a reasonable cost/evaluation? Thanks in advance for all your help - I always feel like places like pep boys/all-state/chain places are exaggerating and trying to get me to do extra stuff I don't need.
If the compressor broke down internally then yes all that needs to be replaced . They will know by removing a line and see if there is debris in the lines . If there is debris then yes all that needs to be replaced and price is average. Get a second opinion could just be the compressor and you can get one from a salvage yard for 75 dollars and have it installed and system charged a out 400 total. These are the next steps. Hoped this helped . Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level