Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

Honda CRV The SRS light on my 2004 Honda CRV stays on. What

The SRS light on my 2004 Honda CRV stays on. What is the problem?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

When the SRS light comes on, this is a sign there is a problem in the Supplemental Restraint System (aka Air Bag System). Unfortunately, there is NO way to know what the problem is, without having the "codes" read. There isn't a mechanic on the planet that can :look" at the light and say "It's this...". Every mechanic's first move will be to read the codes with a scan-tool. This can be anything from an impact sensor to a problem with the seat belts, and any number of other parts or sensors in the SRS system. Once you have these codes, you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the actual cause of the problem, and then begin the repair procedure. You will need to find a shop that has a scan-tool that can read these codes, as most local "Free" scans or "personal" scanners do not read SRS codes. Most shops charge around $45-$65 for the diagnostic fee and the codes retrieved can be brought here, and any of our Techs can help you diagnose the problem, and even walk you through the repair if you feel comfortable. (Keep in mind, AirBag deployment is a risk in this situation, and extreme care must be taken when working on the SRS system)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is usually the problem when this light comes on for this make and model car? What does it take to fix it? Will Honda insist on changing the computer for this system regardless of true source of the problem, such as a seat belt switch? I understand that you can't diagnose the problem without the code, but guys that work on these cars know what usually fails.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Most commonly on these vehicles is a problem in the seat belt tensioner. There is also a current recall on the wire harness for the driver's side air bag. However, this is just a "guess" and I really hate giving a diagnosis based on a "guess". Just because these are 2 common problems, doesn't mean it IS the problem. There are other parts/sensors that can just as easily fail. The Honda Dealer is not nessacarily the "best" place to have it diagnosed, as yes, they will more than likely want to replace everything. Best advice- have a local shop read the codes and go from there. If it is a seat belt tensioner, you're looking at a few hundred to repair, but please, don't get yourself all worked up until you know "for sure" where the problem lies.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics