HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

Honda key stuck in ignition - what can i do

Customer Question

key stuck in ignition - what can i do???
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 3 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Do you still require help with this issue? Thanks,Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what additional information do you need - the vehicle is a 2009 honda civic hybrid - the problem is the key is stuck in the ignition - have tried several times to shift out of park and back into park, but key is still stuck.
Does the shifter seem to feel normal (or does it need extra effort to move it from park to drive?) Does every thing else seem to be working like it should? Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the shifter feels normal - everything else is working.
Have you taken a look to see if the interlock fuse is good, located in the drivers fuse panel?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, have checked fuse - it is good.
Then if fuse is good, can you hear the solenoid working (with the key on and engine off,push the brake pedal and see if you can hear the click sound near the ignition switch)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not sure what solenoid is - it has been suggested to me to replace the ignition locking assembly - get a new key and have it programmed to work with the doors - what do you think????
First, you have a new key, but before you can try new key we have to get old key out of ignition cylinder,Correct! (there is a very good chance that the ignition key cylinder is bad) Thats why Im asking do you hear a click sound when you push the brake pedal down, (theres a good chance that if the brake lights are not working,then there might be a fuse or brake light switch might be bad!) this also controls the interlock system for the ignition, Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I said in my last response that it has been suggested that I change the ignition locking assembly and get a new key - what do you think????
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 3 years ago.
Does the key come out by disconnecting the battery? Regardless if it does or not its covered under warranty or goodwill warranty if you are out by mileage at the dealer. If the dealer says you need to pay contact American Honda they will contact the dealer to fix it for free if it does need a new ignition cylinder and key. The key needs to be programmed at the dealer regardless for the vehicle to operate. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience: 13 year honda platinum level