Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
24034660

Honda 2003 My 2003 Honda Accord air conditioner stopped working

My 2003 Honda Accord air conditioner stopped working and the fan nor compressor will work.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 3 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.Has anyone tested the pressures in the a/c system(if freon becomes low it wont allow the low pressure switch to turn on the compressor)? Thanks,Let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The blower isn't working either and the air conditioner was blowing cold air just before it went out. The display on the dash still shows as if the fan is on and the air conditioner is on, just that there is no air blowing out and if I press the AC button for on or off, the compressor does nothing.
Check the fuse #21 in the underhood fuse/ relay box, This is the fuse for the a/c blower relay, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have checked that 40 amp fuse and it isn't blown. I even swapped it with the 40 amp fuse #19 (option). No help.
Do you have a test light? If yes, has you tested to see if there is voltage at both sides of the fuse?, Then if yes,Also test fuse #11 Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I checked that fuse earlier, and just tested the voltage and got 11.54 volts. Also tested and checked the #12 fuse. 11 volts.
Then have you tested the blower relay, in the underhood box?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I did, and even swapped it with the defroster relay (same one) but didn"t help. The black relay between those two was replaced, 15 bucks, (has a snowflake icon on the box lid), but didn't help. What about the relays above the kick panel fuse box. Do they have to do with it? Would the engine control module have an effect on it? The dust & pollen filter was dirty. Would that affect it?
The filter would have no effect, Have you tested at the blower switch to see if voltage is present? Or even at the blower motor? Has there been any dash work performed? Like stereo,etc?

Is your system manual or automatic hvac system?

Also have you checked the fuse #30 in the under-dash fuse panel (7.5 amp fuse) ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I assume it is automatic, because it is a V6 EX. Yes I checked the #30 fuse earlier and not blown. I've checked everything I know, and even from the manual. I have yet to know why the blower fan and the compressor quit at the same time. What links the two together that would blow out? Is there a safety mechanism that won't let one work without the other? That's all I can think of.
If the blower circuit fails the compressor wont work on these models, Ok Im going to send the way to pull codes from the hvac system,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, send it and I will do it in the morning. Can I contimue this discussion in the morning? I am at my wit's end tonight...I do appreciate you staying with me for this. this Just answer thing is what I need sometimes. I am a fairly good home mechanic and have worked on Honda's a lot, because I have owned a lot of them. Electrical stuff kicks my but though...just tell me what ro do, stay on this site, and start in the morning to finish the job, or start over and probably get someone else that don't know what I've done.
This is for climate control system, First turn the key on, Then press the a/c button.and then the OFF button and check the display, If display turns on and off as the buttons are pressed, there are no dtc stored, If the display does not respond as the buttons are pressed, Then look for loose connections at the hvac controller,If connections are good, then replace the controller assembly, Thanks let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The display is working as if the compressor and fan are working, but neither one is doing anything. when I go from off to on with the buttons for AC off to AC on, there is no change in the engine speed, and no click on the clutch, and no blower blowing, even though the display shows fan on high speed, and AC on...
Take a good look at the blower power transistor, Measure the resistance between #1 and #2 and between #3 and #4 they should be 1,4-1.5 ohms If not replace the power transistor. Thanks
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience: 30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair