Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1998 Honda Accord: bolt..the crankshaft timing belt pulley which..cam

Customer Question

So I have the Haynes manual and I began to replace my timing belt on a 1998 Honda Accord V6. During the process of getting the crank shaft pulley bolt out the belt slipped a couple of cogs ( on which pulley I don't know) and the key came out of the crankshaft timing belt pulley which did not turn while I did turn the cams via the forward cam pulley bolt. Now when I align the front pulley with the correct marks the rear cam pulley alignment mark is at the bottom of the pulley instead of the top aligned with the mark on the case and after putting the key way back in the crank pulley it does not quite align straight up but is slightly to the one o clock position. Help me reset the timing of the cams and the crank and reinstall the new timing belt. I don't want to so this twice.
lost in time,
Gerald
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

ok

lets just start from the beginning and re time the engine,,it is no big deal

thanks

ALL THE BONUS MONEY THAT I RECEIVE DURING THE MONTH OF JUNE WILL BE DONATED TO THE AMERICAN RED CROSS FOR TORNADO RELEIF IN THE MID WEST AND DEEP SOUTH

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

2.7L and 3.0L Engines

The timing belt MUST be properly routed-2.7L engine image

FIG : Following this routing diagram when installing the timing belt-3.0L engine image

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Turn the engine to align the timing marks and set cylinder No. 1 to Top Dead Center (TDC) on the compression stroke. The white mark on the crankshaft pulley should align with the pointer on the timing belt cover. Remove the inspection caps on the upper timing belt covers to check the alignment of the timing marks. The pointers for the camshafts should align with the green marks on the camshaft sprockets.
  3. Remove all necessary components for access to the timing belt covers, then remove the covers.

Do not use the covers to store removed items.

1. Loosen the timing belt adjuster bolt 180 degrees ( 1 / 2 turn). Push the tensioner to remove the tension from the timing belt, then retighten the adjusting bolt.
  2. Remove the timing belt. Do not crimp or bend the belt; protect it from contact with oil or coolant. Slide the belt off the sprockets.
  3. Remove the bolts attaching the camshaft sprockets to the camshafts, then remove the sprockets.
  4. If the timing belt tensioner is defective, remove the spring from the timing belt tensioner. Remove the tensioner pulley adjusting bolt and the adjuster assembly from the engine.

This is an excellent time to check or replace the water pump. Even if the timing belt is only being replaced as part of a good maintenance schedule, consider replacing the pump at the same time.

FIG : Crankshaft timing belt sprocket alignment mark locations-2.7L and 3.0L engines

image

FIG : Left camshaft timing belt sprocket alignment mark location-2.7L and 3.0L engines image

: Rear camshaft timing belt sprocket alignment mark location-2.7L and 3.0L engines image

To install:

1. If the water pump was replaced, install a new O-ring and make certain it is properly seated. Install the water pump and retaining bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
  2. If removed, install the tensioner pulley and the adjusting bolt, be sure the tensioner is properly positioned on its pivot pin. Install the spring to the tensioner, then push the tensioner to its full deflection and tighten the adjusting bolt.
  3. Set the timing belt drive sprocket so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC. Align the TDC mark on the tooth of the timing belt drive sprocket with the pointer on the oil pump.
  4. Set the camshaft sprockets so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC. Align the TDC marks (green mark) on the camshaft sprockets to the pointers on the back covers.
  5. Install the timing belt onto the sprockets in the following sequence: crankshaft sprocket, tensioner pulley, front camshaft sprocket, water pump pulley and rear camshaft sprocket.
  6. Loosen, then retighten the timing belt adjuster bolt to tension the timing belt.
  7. Install the lower timing belt cover.
  8. Install the crankshaft sprocket and the crankshaft pulley bolt. Tighten the bolt to 181 ft. lbs. (245 Nm) with the aid of the crank pulley holder.
  9. Rotate the crankshaft 5-6 turns clockwise so that the timing belt positions on the sprockets.
  10. Set cylinder No. 1 to TDC by aligning the timing marks. If the timing marks do not align, remove the timing belt, then adjust the components and reinstall the timing belt.
  11. Loosen the timing belt adjusting bolt 180 degrees ( 1 / 2 turn) and retighten the adjusting bolt. Tighten the adjusting bolt to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
  12. Install the upper timing belt cover and all other applicable components. When installing the side engine mount to the engine, use 3 new attaching bolts. Tighten the new bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
  13. Install any remaining components in the reverse of the removal procedure.
  14. Connect the negative battery cable.

INSPECTION

Inspect both sides of the timing belt. Replace the belt with a new one if any of the following conditions exist:

Hardening of the rubber-back side is glossy without resilience and leaves no indentation when pressed with a fingernail Cracks on the rubber backing Cracks or peeling of the canvas backing Cracks on rib root Cracks on belt sides Missing teeth or chunks of teeth Abnormal wear of belt sides-the sides are normal if they are sharp, as if cut by a knife.

FIG : Never bend or twist a timing belt excessively, and do not allow solvents, antifreeze, gasoline, acid or oil to come into contact with the belt

image

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need more detail on exactly how to determine TDC on compression for Cyl. #1 when the timing belt is off.

no

all you need to do is align the marks..it will be right..you dont have a compression stroke until the belt is on

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT