HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

93 Honda Prelude Si: the instrument panel/dashboard is..speedo..tach

Customer Question

I have a 93 Honda Prelude Si and the instrument panel/dashboard is completely dead. No speedo, tach, indicator lights, gas gauge, temp gauge, clock, nothing. It's not a fuse, checked those already. Help?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 5 years ago.
The printed circuit board of the instrament cluster is shorted out and needs to be replaced. If there are no added electronics this is the next step. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Which circuit board? The tach and speedo run on different circuit boards than the gas gauge and temp gauge. We have already pulled the section with the lights and speedo and tach and we know that at least the lights work. It seems unlikely to me that one circuit board would affect the entire dashboard. Are you saying that one circuit board can cause the entire dash to be dead?
Ok if it's the entire interior dash lights then the dimmer switch is bad and you would need to replace this next . I'd start here next . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There are two instrument clusters - 1 for the tach/speedometer/turn signals and 2 - dummy lights/fuel gauge/temp gauge. There are no lights at all from #2 except the battery dummy light. #1 has all lights(turn signals/high beam/etc) but the tach and speedometer does not work at all. Does this help narrow down what is and is not working?

Yes it's all controlled on that printed gauge cluster circuit board need to replace that next . Can get one from a salvage yard for about 100 dollars or so . Need to start there .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Which circuit board? The one on the tachometer or the one on the dummy lights?
The tach these all are integrated into one board . You get the entire cluster from the salvage yard .