Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Honda Accord: How do I replace an ignition switch/lock cylinder

How do I replace an ignition switch/lock cylinder in a 1992 honda accord lx? It has an airbag if it makes a difference.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

this may help you

thanks

Honda Accord/Prelude 1984-1995

Ignition Switch

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Print

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1984-93 Accord and 1984-95 Prelude

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If so equipped, disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS).
  2. On 1988-91 Preludes and 1990-93 Accords, remove the steering wheel.
  3. On 1992-95 Preludes, remove the dashboard lower cover/knee bolster and left kick panel.
  4. Remove the steering column covers.
  5. Unplug the ignition switch connector.
  6. Insert the key and turn it to the O position.
  7. If present, remove the tape on the switch wires.
  8. On 1992-95 Preludes remove the screw securing the switch cover, then remove the cover.
  9. Remove the two screws securing the switch, then remove the switch.

Fig. 1: The switch is secured by two screws image

To install:

1. Make certain the recess of the switch aligns with the tab of the lock housing. Insert the switch and install the retaining screws.
  2. If applicable, install the switch cover and retape the wires.
  3. Remove the key.
  4. Connect the wiring harness to the ignition switch.
  5. Reinstall the steering column covers.
  6. Install the steering wheel or any other applicable trim panels.
  7. If applicable, enable the SRS.
  8. Connect the negative battery cable.

AIR BAG[SRS}

DISARMING THE SYSTEM

See Figures 1 and 2

CAUTION This procedure MUST be followed whenever working on or near SRS components and when otherwise noted. The shorting connector must be installed whenever the air bag is disconnected from the harness. If equipped with dual air bags, always disarm the passenger's air bag as well.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable, then the positive cable from the battery. Wait at least three minutes before proceeding.
  2. Remove the maintenance lid below the air bag on the steering wheel; it is secured by two screws. Remove the red shorting connector stored inside the lid.
  3. : Fig. 1: Remove the panel to access the air bag connector

image

• Disengage the connector between the air bag and the cable reel in the steering wheel. The connector can be reached through the opening provided by removing the maintenance lid. Install the shorting connector into the air bag side of the wiring connector.
  • To disarm the passenger's side air bag, first remove the glove box. Now disengage the connector between the SRS main harness and the air bag. Install the red shorting connector into the air bag side of the connector.
  •  

FIG : Fig. 2: To access the passenger air bag, it will be necessary to remove the glove box image

1. DON'T forget to enable the system after the repairs are finished.

ENABLING THE SYSTEM

1. Remove the shorting connector from the air bag, then engage the air bag and cable reel (driver's side) or SRS main harness (passenger side) connectors.
    2. Reinstall the maintenance lid and glove box (as applicable).
    3. Reconnect the battery cables, positive cable first.
    4. Turn the ignition switch ON , the SRS dash warning lamp should light for about 6 seconds, then go out. If the light does not come on, does not go out or comes on when driving, the system must be diagnosed and repaired by a Honda dealer or reputable shop.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    This has been a big help. All I need now is how to remove the steering wheel

hi

sorry storm here,,i lost you for a minute

this may help

thanks

Honda Accord/Prelude 1984-1995

\Steering Wheel

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Without SRS (Air Bag)

See Figures 1, 2 and 3

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
    2. Remove the steering wheel nut cover.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. Fig. 1: A small prybar can be used to remove the steering wheel nut cover

1. Make certain the steering wheel is set approximately straight-ahead. Lock the ignition and remove the key.
    2. Use a fine-tipped marker or similar to make an alignment mark on the wheel and shaft. Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Be sure to counter-hold the wheel with your hand; do not let the full force of the wrench push on the steering lock.

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Fig. 2: Hold the steering wheel while removing the nut

1. Remove the steering wheel by rocking it from side-to-side, while pulling up steadily by hand. Do not use excessive force. If the wheel will not slide off the shaft, it will be necessary to use a steering wheel puller.

Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. Fig. 3: The steering wheel should pull off the shaft

1. Unplug the necessary electrical connections.
    2. Install in reverse order. Be sure to tighten the steering wheel nut to 36 ft. lbs (50 Nm).

With SRS (Air Bag)

See Figures 4, 5, 6 and 7

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Properly disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS),
    2. Remove the small plastic covers on both sides behind the steering wheel. Remove the two (one on each side) Torx® bolts using a T30 bit. Remove the air bag assembly.

FIG : Fig. 4: Remove the small plastic covers on both sides behind the steering wheel image

CAUTION Store the air bag in a safe area with the bag portion facing upwards. This will prevent launching of the air bag assembly in case of accidental deployment.

FIG : Fig. 5: Always store the air bag facing upwards image

Unplug the connectors from the horn and cruise control SET/RESUME switches.

FIG : Fig. 6: Unplug the connectors from the horn and cruise control SET/RESUME switches

image

2. Use a fine-tipped marker or similar to make an alignment mark on the wheel and shaft. Remove the steering wheel retaining nut/bolt. Be sure to counter-hold the wheel with your hand; do not let the full force of the wrench push on the steering lock.
    3. Remove the steering wheel by rocking it from side-to-side, while pulling up steadily by hand. If the wheel will not slide off the shaft, it will be necessary to use a steering wheel puller.

To install:

1. Center the cable reel:
      1. Rotate the cable reel clockwise until it stops.
      2. Rotate it counterclockwise approximately 2 turns until the yellow gear tooth aligns with the mark on the cover AND the arrow on the cable reel points straight up.
    2. Install the steering wheel. Make certain the wheel shaft engages the cable reel. Tighten the nut to 36 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).

FIG : Fig. 7: Make sure the yellow gear tooth aligns with the mark on the cover and the arrow on the cable reel points straight up image

• Insert the cruise control SET/RESUME connector and the air bag connector into the steering wheel clips. Check that they are firmly seated.
  • Engage the horn connector.
  • Install the air bag assembly with new Torx® bolts. Tighten them to 7 ft. lbs. (10 Nm).
  • Install the connector on the maintenance lid and install the lid.
  • Enable the SRS system and connect the battery cable. Turn the ignition switch ON ; check for proper operation of the SRS dash warning lamp. Confirm proper operation of the horn and cruise control buttons. Turn the steering wheel counterclockwise; check that the yellow tooth still aligns with the mark.
  •  

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
    Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.